Workstation Desks Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workstation Desks Recommendations?

Hey, my work is allowing us to possibly get new desks. Any recommendations for companies or specific ones that can fit multiple computers?

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Ikea Effektiv series. Nice and stable desk series (I had like 100 KG on one once) with an OK price, and lots of variants and some accessories.

Those are just "normal" desks, not those "computer desk" thingies, which I loathe. Don't be tempted and buy any of the cheap Ikea desks though, I have two now, and while I was able to stand on one (I weigh 90 kg ), they "swing", and sound hollow (because they are, mostly), they're just too light.

Because they're Ikea's professional line, you won't find the Effektiv desks in the normal Ikea catalog, nor on the normal website, so use this link

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

For a fairly cheap and sturdy desk, look at Saunders. They are particle board, but pretty decent. Mine has lasted 7-years and 5 moves and still looks nice.

Any particular budget range?

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I support AZ on this one... IKEA's effektiv series is very nice and solid
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Edit need more coffe before I post
          (Didn't see the work word.
          As wombat says below.
          the whole ergo and OHAS thing can get nasty. Seek profesional help on that.
          Last edited by Sasq; 11 July 2003, 18:56.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

You guys are probably going to want to see what your local office supply stores carry. OSHA and ergo stuff can be a real pain in the ass, let someone else make sure that the gear is OSHA approved.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

1st the desk needs to be at least 75-80cm deep (29.5-31.5").

2nd make sure you have enough surface to use those multiple monitors you always wanted.

Either get premade desk or two such as those recommended by az. (Me being able to stand on my desk + 2x 17" monitors =~ 100kg+ is a requirement here).

At least 2-2.5cm (0.8-1") thick.

Or just go to Baumax, Obi some other hobby shop and get 2 stands and 4cm (1.5") thick 1m x 2.5 m splinter board with finish of your liking.

I got something from the bellow program:

1x 180x80cm (71x31.5") desk, 1x 120x80cm (47x31.5) desk and the drawers you can see in the pic.

If you're cool, get stands and have glass surface cut for you.

Comment

AZ! I was so happy with my Ikea Effectiv 2.40m X 320m L, then I put the photo up, and you posted Ikea desks, Ikea desks, everybody has Ikea desks! I thought you didn't like them, *sniff*, and I was just about to change it, *sob*, and now you say you like them, and even have several! I just don't know what to think anymore...

Ikea Effectiv desks are great. You can always change the configuration and add elements until the whole room is just one big desk.

Only two points.

-tighten the steel parts well and retighten after a few months

- don't overtighten the screws into the wood desktop and gently retighten them after several months, and check them from time to time

Last edited by mutz; 12 July 2003, 03:33.
                How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                Who cares?

Comment

Go to your local office surplus warehouse and see what great deals they have. The way the industry has been you should find nearly new, high quality office furniture at healthy discounts. You should also be able to find a number of identical units.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                    Go to your local office surplus warehouse and see what great deals they have. The way the industry has been you should find nearly new, high quality office furniture at healthy discounts. You should also be able to find a number of identical units.
                    Very good point, xortam. I got my desk at an office supply warehouse. They had just bought about 25 of them from some company that went out of business or bought new ones, so I got my pick of them. This is a perfect work desk, 60 inches wide by 30 deep, only one small shallow drawer, built of solid wood 1 1/2 inches thick, with a solid recessed back to hide my wire mess and support the massive weight of my two computers and 24" crt. It cost $35.00.

Comment

Always a good bet to check out local office surplus. I have three desks (60" * 30") from an old office, only cost me the price of the fuel to get them home

Massive sturdy things, nearly broke my back moving them.

Comment

IMO Ikea is very good at making computer desks.

Comment

Cool thanks for the info guys. My boss already has something in mind, but its always good to shop around first.

FYI, I work at the main computer lab at a University's Library. My desk just squeezes in my workstation and 2 iMacs I'm working on, and the layout is definitely not ergonomic. Our main PC has three monitors, but we also have a bunch of PCs being worked on and there is really no spot for those. So we decided to get new desks that'll help us organize more and provide more vertical space.

I actually don't know what our budget is gonna be, because we are replacing all our iMacs with G5s! The one time in my life I'm actually excited about a Mac, just because they will be replacing the #$&*#&%#^@% iMacs.
                          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Just take a look inside a G5 when you get them! They're beautiful!

AZ
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

More beautiful then an Amiga 1200???

Comment

Working...
                              X