symbolic links in Win2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• symbolic links in Win2k

One of the features I miss in Windows is the ability to create symbolic links to files/dirs like in Unix based OSs.

I think to know that NTFS has support built in for these symlinks but I don't know how to create them.

Is there any application able to do this in Win2k?

cheers, Ivan
    <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

i have found this free utility (includes source code also) and have used it for some time without problems.

nospam

Comment

Okay I may have had too much cider, the backs stopped hurting but why would you want to do this anyway???
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

PIT, I have like ten db driven web sites, a compression library, an image loading library and a computer game under development.
          For the websites I almost always use some base PHP classes, if I have them in a centralized folder I can just put a symlink to it on the site folder. Now, if I upgrade the library in that folder it'll be automatically upgraded for all my web sites
          For general programming I use a command line compiler so having to type long paths is not something I like to do. I should install 4DOS or 4NT though.

thanks for the links Agallag and Tonny.

btw does someone know of an utility that makes symlinks of files too?

ivan
          <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

Originally posted by drslump
            PIT, I have like ten db driven web sites, a compression library, an image loading library and a computer game under development.
            For the websites I almost always use some base PHP classes, if I have them in a centralized folder I can just put a symlink to it on the site folder. Now, if I upgrade the library in that folder it'll be automatically upgraded for all my web sites
            For general programming I use a command line compiler so having to type long paths is not something I like to do. I should install 4DOS or 4NT though.

thanks for the links Agallag and Tonny.

btw does someone know of an utility that makes symlinks of files too?

ivan
            Okay doke now I see why. I was just curious.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I haven't tried it, but I think the one I linked to does files too.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

it doesn't Agallag but it works like a charm for dirs that is what I most need. thanks again for the link

it's not supported internally by NTFS so it'll need a more complex program to do it.

ivan

Comment

Well no NTFS supports it... but Windows doesn't support MAKING them natively.

Or did you mean that NTFS doesn't support symlinks for FILES, which I'd believe?

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm, NTFS doesn't support symlinks to files.
                    me and my engrish

btw M$ have tools for making this symlinks but they come with the Win2k Resource Kit which is not free and do not come with the OS

ciao, Ivan

Comment

Working...
                    X