Compact Flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact Flash

I've ordered a Minolta Dimage 7Hi I was looking for the 7i but it's so damn expensive here in Spain (1100 eur), I got this one from a shop in ebay, I hope I don't get screewed

It comes with 16Mb of memory, I guess it's like nothing if I want to shoot some hi-res pictures
    So I'll have to buy a 128mb card, I'm going on holidays to Italy so I'll need some space to take lots of shoots.

Now comes the question: What's the difference between a cheap card and an expensive/brand name card?

I suppose the main difference would be the speed of reading/writing, this don't really bothers me. For xmas I plan to buy a MicroDrive, so this one is to keep me going until then.

However, is it possible that a cheap one could be incompatible with my camera? if so, there is somewhere I can check if they work with my model?
    I guess I'll buy it online so I can't try it at the shop

btw if someone has an used one to sell you can contact me, I'll be interested in hearing your offer

thanks, Ivan
    <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Re: Compact Flash

Originally posted by drslump
    Now comes the question: What's the difference between a cheap card and an expensive/brand name card?

I suppose the main difference would be the speed of reading/writing, this don't really bothers me. For xmas I plan to buy a MicroDrive, so this one is to keep me going until then.
    Mainly speed, but also reliability, warranty and compatibility. The microdrive is very good (quite fast too), but more prone to defects (e.g. because of shocks). That being said, if the drive is in the camera, you are most likely to be carefull with the camera, so depending on your handling it could well be a non issue. Still, as prices of CF-cards have dropped enormously, you might want to check it out...

By the way, it is not allways speed: the Sandisk cards (not the Sandisk Ultra) are not fast, but very reliable; the Ultra cards are their faster (but more expensive cousins).

Az said in another post that Lexar has an image-rescue software for their cards (should there be any problems with it, thus allowing you to salvage as much pictures as possible).

However, is it possible that a cheap one could be incompatible with my camera? if so, there is somewhere I can check if they work with my model?
    I guess I'll buy it online so I can't try it at the shop
    This is very possible. MrFlash is known to be incompatible with a number of devices, and that is just one example. To be sure, just stick with one of the major brands (Lexar, Sandisk, Ridata, Viking, ...).

I personally use 512 MB cards by Ridata (bought them at http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au , like most people on the Belgiumdigital forums - digital photography forum in Dutch ).

I believe az is more of a Lexar-user.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Warning on Lexar.

I ordered a 1GB 32X Pro which arrived without the JumpShot cable.

The rescue software is on the CF card, and you can't download the software without the cable.

It was Lexar's error, but it was only after raising a storm that they sent me the cable, which I just got.

Lexar aren't very internationally oriented, so while the product is excellent, their international support needs a lot of improvement. For example, their online store isn't availabe outsid North America.

Annoying.
      How can you possibly take anything seriously?
      Who cares?

Comment

Jorg, I'm checking poweringnumbers.com.au and the 512Mb Power CF 30x is only 95eur!!!!! plus shipping.
        That's what will cost me a 256mb elcheapo one here!

Do you think that brand is ok?

thanks for the link
        <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

buhahahah drslump has kooldino as his avatar now. sorry for OT
          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

DrSlump, be very careful with no-name or cheap brands! The minolta Dimage 7 series is VERY picky when it comes to CF compatibility, I know lots of users who had cheap cards. All seemed fine, they took a lot of pictures in their holydays, and just at the worst moment, they suddenly lost all the pics that were on the card! DO NOT, ever, buy cheap CF cards.

Also, if you go on vacation, you should at least buy a 256MB card, especially if you don't have much opportunity to offload the pics from the card.

At the end of the year, the new generation microdrives will be out, being bigger and faster

Until then, ridata are probably the cheapest fast and reliable cards you can get. Toshibas are also good, but stay clear of SanDisk. They're not cheap, and very slow. Their ultras are expensive, and have only average speed.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
              Until then, ridata are probably the cheapest fast and reliable cards you can get. Toshibas are also good, but stay clear of SanDisk. They're not cheap, and very slow. Their ultras are expensive, and have only average speed.
              I haven't heard of Power CF, so I really cannot comment on them. I do know people that use Ridata cards in a Minolta Dimage7 without problems.

Az is right though, pictures are most likely to be valued assets/memories, having some form of security is always welcome.
              Az: How many pictures can you put on a 256 MB card?
              (drslump: with digital, you do tend to take more pictures)

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

in highest quality JPEG mode of the 7Hi, about 50.. in second highest quality mode (there is hardly a difference in image quality between the two modes, this is the highest quality JPEG mode possible on the 7i) ~80, I guess.

In RAW 26 or so.

BTW, I myself use a microdrive in my 7i, and am happy with it. It's in the camera most of the tima, and shock resistance doesn't really matter - if the camera is dropped so that the md could be damaged, the cam would be trashed anyway

AZ

Comment

thanks for the info folks!

Comment

1 ½ years I used a 64 MB PQI Flash Card in my Nikon CoolPix 995. I wasn’t satisfied. It was slow. Very slow.
                    Then I tried the original 16 MB Nikon card. Man, such a difference.
                    Then I purchased a SanDisk 128 MB (not Ultra) it IS 3 times faster than the PQI.
                    The loading time in full 2048x1360 pixels was 15 sec for PQI and less than 5 sec for SanDisk.
                    I asked Nikon about the Ultra card. They say that the speed depends of the software in the camera and it doesn’t help for the CoolPix to spend the money for an Ultra card. The speed should be the same. So I bought the non Ultra card and it works fine.
                    Fred H
                    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

To clarify for DrSlump: The Dimage 7 series are Prosumer cards, and they are fast enough to benefit from faster cards

Never knew there were any slower cards than SanDisk standard

AZ

P.S.: Slump, what did you get in the end?

Comment

Never knew there were any slower cards than SanDisk standard.
                        Than what brand CF do you recommend (no microdrive)
                        In my case, Nikon suggests SanDisk or Lexar. They are also common CF here in Sweden.

Fred H

Comment

I'd suggest Lexar, if you don't want a Microdrive, or Toshiba.

AZ

Comment

Thanks, az.
                            Here comes some prices in Sweden:
                            1 GB Lexar is equiv. 500$ here,
                            1GB SanDisk 410$,
                            1GB IBM MD 335$.
                            (Note: I count in $. I’ll not vote for €.)
                            Toshiba is not easy to find here.
                            And, regarding the Nikon CoolPix, should Toshiba, or Lexar CF be much faster than SanDisk?

BTW, I like this forum. I like it very much.
                            Another serious forum besides the Desktop Video forum, here.

Fred H

Comment

Order the 1GB Lexar 32X Pro from B&H Photo in New York for around $299 plus $36 shipping per UPS Express.

Just make sure you get the JumpShot USB cable deal straight as mentioned above.
                              How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                              Who cares?

Comment

Working...
                              X