Now this stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now this stupid

News and reviews of PC components, smartphones, tablets, pre-built desktops, notebooks, Macs and enterprise/cloud computing technologies.

You would thought the latest 865 and 875 would be compatable.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

And nothing new.

The same was for Coppermine -> Tualatin after all.

Comment

hope it ain't so!

Comment

Intel likes to keep changing specs and sockets because it means they sell more chipsets.

Comment

wouldnĀ“t current motherboards just hold the the cpu back?

I mean, the old pentium "overdrive" was a stupid idea back then, what makes you think, the motherboard wouldnĀ“t be the bottleneck now?
          This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

No, they wouldn't.

Not in case of i865 & i875.

In case of transision Coppermine -> Tualatin that also wasn't the issue, but Intel did it anyway.

Comment

so this isnĀ“t like keeping your old pc133 sdram, for that pentium4 upgrade?

edit: just read the link, it says they did it because of voltage spec regulations.
              canĀ“t the current motherboards provide enough power for the cpu? is that the problem?
              I mean do they have a valid technical reason, or Ć­s it just because they are evil and greedy?
              Last edited by TdB; 11 July 2003, 08:06.
              This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

They could've maintained backward compatability for the initial release... but this is Intel we're talking about. The chip requires new motherboards, and then early next year they're changing the socket which will require new boarcs again.. so this interim release is a deadend roadmap with little upgradability if you buy the board for it. As someone mentioned at that link above, Intel doesn't want you to just upgrade the processor, they want you to buy a whole new computer = more money for them.

Comment

we've seen it before haven't we? socket 370, FC-PGA, FC-PGA2 ring a bell anyone? socket 423?
                  Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Well since they're moving away from socket 478 anyway you might as well wait a year for the prices to fall. Lost sales for Intel and if AMD get there prices right it could end up being another headache for Intel.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Sometimes I wonder I half the "format" changes that the coupling between the CPU and socket has been neccesary from a technical standpoint

And besides, they would love to have every one buy a new computer from dell every year
                      Last edited by Technoid; 11 July 2003, 14:09.
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Now, isnĀ“t it nice you can still run a 2400+ XP on your 2 year old AMD760 motherboard?

Comment

Perhaps SiS R659 will be compatible...
                          it has enough bandwith for a FSB 1066 Prescott too .
                          P IV 3,06 Ghz, GA-8ihxp i850e, 512 MB PC-1066 RDRam, Parhelia 128 mb 8x, 40 + 60 gb IBM 7200 upm/2048 kb HD, Samtron 96 P 19", black icemat, Razer Boomslang 2100 krz-2 + mousebungee, Videologic sonic fury, Creative Soundworks

Comment

Asus is making a compatable board now.

Comment

CPU and Motherboard dependance has existed forever. I never really expect to upgrade the processor of my computer without also upgrading the motherboard to match it.
                              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
                              X