Bizzare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizzare

Upgraded my win2k machine to XP. Smb stopped working becuase I changed the name of the machine. Corrected that.

Now xsmbrowser will only work if I log on as root. I can mount drives etc no problem.
    It seems to be using different settings per user. Where does it hide the buggers??? Anyone know.

The other problem how the hell do you uninstall the programme under redhat 9. The only programmes it allows you too uninstall are the ones that it installed when it first ran.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Re: Bizzare

Originally posted by The PIT
    The other problem how the hell do you uninstall the programme under redhat 9. The only programmes it allows you too uninstall are the ones that it installed when it first ran.
    That depends. Did you install the program from source with a "make install" approach, or as RPM?

Comment

RPM. Can't be arsed with using source as most of the time somethings missing in the instructions.

Correction can't be arsed most of the time unless I want a laugth.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

you'll probably have to recreate all accounts. it stores a unique ID for every user in smbpasswd, which should be located in /etc/samba/smbpasswd or somewhere els in /etc or in /usr/local/samba.
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by thop
          you'll probably have to recreate all accounts. it stores a unique ID for every user in smbpasswd, which should be located in /etc/samba/smbpasswd or somewhere els in /etc or in /usr/local/samba.
          If thats the case how come it still works for root then ???

Before the upgrade it worked for both root and my other account.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

[B]RPM. Can't be arsed with using source as most of the time somethings missing in the instructions.
            Uhm.. 99% of the time, ./configure; make; make install will do the trick.

Anyway. Try "man rpm". It says there very clearly how to install and remove packages.

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk
              Uhm.. 99% of the time, ./configure; make; make install will do the trick.
              Err no most of the time it will say you need x library which is okay if your on broadband or it fail saying cannot find file.

I'll try man rpm but it probably be useless. It looks like linux is still in the 9x dark ages with unstalling programmes.

Still I'm wondering why it only now works under root only. The orginal config was under none root privaleges so what gives.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Err no most of the time it will say you need x library which is okay if your on broadband or it fail saying cannot find file.
                Don't blame the documentation for that.

I'll try man rpm but it probably be useless. It looks like linux is still in the 9x dark ages with unstalling programmes.
                Great attitude!!

Comment

Don't blame the documentation for that.

Great attitude!!
                  I wish the quotes included the quotes. I approach linux from the linux fan club approach that says everthing is easy. Which isn't true. So okay I'm going to be over critical. I'll look don't worry but surely this should have all gone into RH uninstall programmes. I'm pretty sure it did when I used mandrake.

Any idea why it only works under root now.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I wish the quotes included the quotes. I approach linux from the linux fan club approach that says everthing is easy. Which isn't true. So okay I'm going to be over critical. I'll look don't worry but surely this should have all gone into RH uninstall programmes. I'm pretty sure it did when I used mandrake.
                    I just wish you won't blame the documentation for your unwillingness to read it.

Any idea why it only works under root now.
                    I have never used xsmbrowser.

Comment

The only time I read the manual and this is the same under windoze is when something doesn't work and I can't fix it.
                      Normally the manual will tell you to do the trouble shooting you've already done or not mention the problem.

So I'll give it a go don't worry.

I looked on the website and it infers it doesn't use samba.

So why under root does it say using default samba config which works.

I think it uses it own configuration files which by chance I got right by pure luck via your guidance. However I can't see on the the owners web site where these files are stored.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Uhmm.. What website are you looking at?

Check out the paragraph at the bottom:

Also check out the requirements:
                        Any Unix out there with a recent version of Samba, Tcl/Tk, and Expect can probably run xSMBrowser.

Comment

Uhmm.. What website are you looking at?

Check out the paragraph at the bottom:

Also check out the requirements:
                          Any Unix out there with a recent version of Samba, Tcl/Tk, and Expect can probably run xSMBrowser.
                          The Authors.

It's the latest version of samba and it worked fine until I upgraded the target machine. Two things have changed the ip address and the machine name.

The only strange other thing under XP the sis onboard ethernet mac address got changed to all zero's. I've fixed this with a later driver but his shouldn't effect Linux.
                          Last edited by The PIT; 11 July 2003, 14:22.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

In what way does it not work for non-root users?

Comment

If thats the case how come it still works for root then ???
                              Very good question! I have no aswer
                              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Working...
                              X