Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of Fujifilm FinePix S304?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Fujifilm FinePix S304?

I'm looking for something inexpensive that I can use for taking some casual photos, and with a nice optical zoom... Finepix looks like a good opportunity with 6x optical and I can get it fairly cheap compared to other cameras of that type. 400 EUR. Any alternatives? Anyone had first-hand experience with the S304?

It is also known as the Fuji Finepix 3800:

Here is a review:
    IN-DEPTH review of the Fuji FinePix 3800 digital camera, with actual sample images, and a detailed data sheet.

Some timings are here (shutter lag, ...):

And here is another review:
    Tech Talk - Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I just quickly read through the specs, some things that I noticed: 38mm is not very *wide* angle (depends on what you need; if you can, try setting 38mm on an existing camera to see what it means), somewhat limited manual functionalities (e.g. manual exposure, but of course, it depends whether or not you care for that) and an EVF (I tend to advice people to see the EVF in action; some people like it, some don't, some don't care). I also don't know anything about the pricing of xD cards; this might be interesting to know.

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 13 July 2003, 07:30.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Thanks VJ... Pretty much the same conclusion I've come to after some additional research...
      Still looks like a good cam for that price...

EDIT:
      Just noticed...
      Olympus C-720 Ultra Zoom... Looks like even better deal (better LCD, 8x optical zoom). It uses SmartMedia cards that are 2x cheaper than xD-picture cards.... It is priced similar as before mentioned Fuji...
      Don't know about the angle, though. What do they mean with "multivariator lens 6.4 – 51.2 mm"?
      Last edited by Goc; 15 July 2003, 22:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Goc
        Olympus C-720 Ultra Zoom... Looks like even better deal (better LCD, 8x optical zoom). It uses SmartMedia cards that are 2x cheaper than xD-picture cards.... It is priced similar as before mentioned Fuji...
        Don't know about the angle, though. What do they mean with "multivariator lens 6.4 – 51.2 mm"?
        The lens is equivalent with 40-320mm, which means even less wide angle.

About these equivalent values: the CCDs of digital cameras are smaller, which means that the lens can be made a lot smaller (e.g. in this case 6.4-51.2mm). As different cameras use different size sensors, the real focal length of the lens doesn't say much. So the lenses are also specified in 35mm equivalent, which simply translates to what lens it would be, if the CCD were the size of the negative in a regular 35mm camera.

I don't really know what they mean with "multivariator lens"; Olympus is the only one to use this term. It could have to do with the way it extends, or with the speed at which it zooms (variable perhaps ?); but I'm really guessing here.
        (it does not mean apochromatic: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Glossa...rations_01.htm )

reviews:
        Tech Talk - Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Detailed review of Olympus C-720 Ultra Zoom, with actual sample images, and a detailed data sheet.

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Well, I'll have to pick one of these. I'd really like a bigger optical zoom than standard 3x... Anyone know of other cameras like these two in a similar price range (~400$)?
          Anything else I'm missing?

Comment

Check here:

As criteria you should set
            price: < $600 (the site only knows the price at the time of launch, it will have dropped since)
            zoom wide: < 50 mm
            zoom tele: 135mm+

Leave all the rest to "never mind" and the last to "yes" (only current models); these are the defaults.

It yields 10 cameras; 4 of them are over $400 at the time of launch; the two you mentioned are also in the list.

Hope this helps...

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

It sure does!
              Thanks VJ!

Comment

I like the S304 although you have to use the manual settings to get the best out of it.
                The zoom is really nice, as you can get people acting naturally. This is because they think you're to far away to take a picture of them.
                I've got a few good pics of climbers which I wouldn't have been able to do with the more normal x3 zoom.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                X