Good free C++ Compiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good free C++ Compiler?

So.. is there any good free ANSI-C++ compiler or even development kit for windows which allows me to release the software made with it, without my software having to be free or open source?

I think I'll try learning that language (found a nice beginner's book, but sadly it doesn't cover the subject of needed software at all), but I don't want to learn to use a new software if I somehow get good enough to actually release something someday. And I'm poor, so I can't pay a lot for commercial software. I guess I could make do with textpad as editor (it has syntax highlighting, and I use it for HTML, so I know how to use it), but I'd still need a compiler. BTW, I don't even know what a debugger does

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

So, you've decided to embark on the path of the coder.

I'd use Dev-C++ if I were you.
    This is the official website of Dev-C++ Open Source project. This is the official website of Dev-C++ open source C & C++ IDE

Just beware that if your book is about Visual C++, then you'll need to have MS Visual Studio.
    Otherwise, you'll be fine with Dev-C++ for WinAPI and console coding.
    Last edited by Zao; 9 July 2003, 16:51.
    <font size="-4">User error:
    Replace user and try again.
    System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
    System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
    </font>

Comment

It's about standard ANSI-C++, so I should be fine

I'll check out your link tomorrow, when I'm awake

AZ

Comment

gcc would be just fine. Using gcc does not mean that the output has to be open sourced.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I thought if I used something that's under the GPL, I'd have to OS it myself. Or is gcc under LGPL or some other license? Is it available for windows?

AZ

Comment

no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

You only have to GPL something if you include code that is GPLed. The strictest interpretation goes only as far as saying that linking to a GPL library requires GPLing.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

You could use gcc, but you can't use cygwin. So your software would only be
                available on *nix OSes. Since using gcc without cygwin is impossible on windows.

Since the cygwin dll is GPL and is required by almost all applications compiled with gcc on windows. Anything you release that requires the dll will have to be released under the GPL licence or another OS licence (http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition_plain.html). If the dll was covered under LGPL, then it would have been alright, but that is not the case.

You could still use gcc for development, but in the future you would have to choose one of the following.

1. Keep all copies of your software "in house".
                2. Port your application over to another C++ compiler. Then release it commercially.
                3. Purchase a special cygwin licence from redhat. A lot of GPL stoftware is dual licenced for commercial use.
                4. Release you software with the source and a copy of the GPL licence. You can still charge money for it, but anyone you sell it to can redistribute copies and base their own GPL software on the source. This is how the linux distros can charge money for boxed copies of the OS.
                I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

Az, for any help or suggestion don't hesitate to PM me!
                  Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Thanks guys, thanks Drizzt

Hmm.. I'm not üplanning to do anything on any other OS than windows in the near future, so I don't need portability. I won't make anything open source before I'm sure my coding doesn't suck a lot (so chances are I'll never open source anything ), but I sure would want to be able to release stuff once (if) I wrote something useful.

Some questions, as this book says absolutely NOTHING about software, and I only had a few school lessons in Borland TurboPascal... what is a debugger? I thought debugging was just the process of finding and exterminating bugs (i.e. testing your software, looking at your code for the 20th time...)

If I want to do stuff with/for standard windows GUI, I need Visual C++, or are there other libraries for that? (And yes, I will try and learn the language first before doing some fancy schmancy interfaces - but this is an area that's important to me, since so many coders can't seem to produce a proper standards compliant easy to use interface, and I believe that the interface is one of the most important parts of a program)

Thanks again so far

I've discovered that the CD of the book contains the full version of Borland C++ Builder Standard, but the book is from '99, and I don't yet know if I am allowed to release software made with C++ Builder Standard... should I just use this software?

AZ

Comment

here you can find some tips about debugging in c++

http://www.codeworx.org/cpp_tuts_1_4.php

Rakido
                      "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Thanks Rakido, but this is still a little over my top

I just started reading yesterday

AZ

Comment

no prob, them start with this site

http://www.zock.com/64er/8407/0018.html

Rakido
                          "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

If I want to do stuff with/for standard windows GUI, I need Visual C++,
                            Hmm.. I migrated from TurboPascal 7 to C myself so i got confused about a few terms myself (delay()..pause() etc) however you do not require Visual C++ to code windows interfaces (even though it might be easier).. just have fun coding
                            Last edited by Belwarrior; 10 July 2003, 07:57.
                            Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                            ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

OK, I will

But in the beginning, C++ is really very similar to pascal.. but my skillz are VERY basic yet

AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X