Daily BBQ: Loser of the day, 7/7-7/8 2k3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily BBQ: Loser of the day, 7/7-7/8 2k3

So I was looking to see what the revised release date for the third Matrix movie was. (November 4, for those of you who care!)

And at the bottom of the release information blurb on Yahoo Movies ( http://movies.yahoo.com ), there's a link that says "discuss the Matrix movies on our Matrix message board!" (note, this has changed in the past 24 hours, or else I'm going to that link differently now - it's on the left in a list of links).

So I say to myself, "I wonder what kind of idiots discuss the Matrix on YAHOO of all places..." and morbid curiosity (my eternal bane) caused my hand to move involuntarily and ... click ... the ... link!

I shouldn't have asked. Not only is the Yahoo Message Board software hideous, but the caliber of idiot on there sets new standards for retardation. Topics of high relevance, such as "who would win in a fight - a sentinel or a Terminator robot?"

But the cream of the crop (and I only read about 2 pages worth of headings) comes from someone named "kennyblanton":

Note: I almost feel bad picking on this kid. He's a real person with real feelings, and a Yahoo profile... ok nevermind he has a Yahoo profile. Fair game!

Here's Kenny's amazing post:
    The Matrix is the best thing that ever happened to me. It's sooo much more than just a movie and makes you really think of what this world may really be. It is not your average movie that just makes you think...but it makes you think about it all the time. The Matrix trilogy is the best thing that ever happened to us. Wakes us up about our own question..why are we here?
    Wow. Deep. There are stylistic similarities between this quote and the writing of "Robert" of "Real Ultimate Power: The Official Ninja Homepage". ( http://www.realultimatepower.net/ )

I mean, the Matrix doesn't just make you think (like average movies apparently do) but it makes you think about it ALL THE TIME!

It is, apparently, the BEST THING that EVER HAPPENED TO US!

(I personally kind of think my son is the best thing that ever happened to me... or maybe the time the wife and I got busy MAKING my son... err... I digress!)

So I'm laughing at this kid and seriously considering him for Loser of the Day status. I mean, the Daily BBQ isn't up yet, so I don't have thousands of adoring readers sending me new losers to pick on. I can't be too choosy! But then I went back today, to get the actual quotes (my journalistic integrity at work!), and run across THIS winner:

"morphesau" writes the following piece of drivel in response to Kenny's original thought-provoking piece:
    That is the most inteligent message posted to date.

Why are we here.

Well we asked that same question more then 400 years ago but we all got preocupied and forgot the question, why are we here and what are we surving for.

Good to know people are starting to wake up.

That's why I like the Matrix because I can relate to it as the real world still sleeping and now slowly waking up to the fact that there is more to life that meets the eye.
    Oh dear sweet Jesus. This guy (who has no picture and no profile, so in theory he's NOT as big a loser as Kenny) not only thinks Kenny is "inteligent" (sic), but that we've been asking that question for more then (sic) 400 years!

Hmm... what happened 400 years ago?

Uhh... (wracks brain, comes up blank) I dunno. This guy is a REAL winner.

So, I'm sorry Kenny. But due to his questionable knowledge of history, and his reverence for YOU, "morphesau" is the LOSER OF THE DAY for July 7-8, 2003.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Ok... who wants to tell me why the IMG tag isn't working today?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Well we asked that same question more then 400 years ago...

Comment

"who would win in a fight - a sentinel or a Terminator robot?"
        Model 101 or T1000?

Seriously, this reminds me of the mania that grew out of the original Star Wars. (Crotchety Old Man mode ON) Back then we didn't have websites or message boards or forums or blogs, we had badly typed and photocopied newsletters and cheap fanzines, AND WE LIKED 'EM!

(Crotchety Old Man mode OFF)

Kevin

Comment

But you were... sadly... losers.

Nothing ever changes.

- Gurm

Comment

[sniff] I miss the old days. You kids have it too easy...

[goes to read back-issues of Starlog ]

Kevin

Comment

Re: Daily BBQ: Loser of the day, 7/7-7/8 2k3

Originally posted by Gurm
              Hmm... what happened 400 years ago?

Uhh... (wracks brain, comes up blank) I dunno. This guy is a REAL winner.
              I bet he's referring to the metaphysical poets: John Donne and his followers.

Oh no. I hope I didn't just prove that that I speak loser.

Paul

Comment

In general I don't like the usage of the word loser, since it's in the nature of our fair race to commit mistakes.
                Though if I am to think at such a type, I think the real loser is the "proud loser". People commit mistakes out of, say, superficiality, not thinking before doing/speaking... the proud one starts with the same base and sometimes knows he blew it or just realized (pointed by others in most cases) but because of his ego he would balme it on others or debate with you till the end of time rather than admit his mistake and most important, admit it at the time it was committed.
                As for deeming others losers just because it makes one feel better about himself, I guess one should think at his life that was or is, might be, not that perfect.

Comment

Starlog was cool.. I was a serious Star Wars dreamer back then.. wore out my LPs of the Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back Soundtracks by playing them too much.

I remember designing a spaceship at the time.. with some of the cool features of the Millennium Falcon but that looked a bit more like an Imperial Star Destroyer with a St. Paul Class Heavy Cruiser-style Bridge. Coolest looking spaceship I've ever seen, and of course, I designed it.

Comment

I think the sentinel would beat the crap out of the model 101, the fight against the model 1000 would be interesting, I would bet on the 1000.

I will be watching t3 soon, so I will give you the heads up on the T5000 vs sentinel battle soon...

Hmm...now where did Gurm put that long thread discussing the Matrix and whether neo was really in a supa matrix....

Comment

I just thought it was funny.

Ninjas flip out and kill people whenever they want. I think about Ninjas ALL THE TIME!
                      The Matrix is cool, it makes me think about it ALL THE TIME!
                      - Gurm

Comment

Working...
                      X