RANT: BAD Laws and Rhyming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RANT: BAD Laws and Rhyming

Ok, here's another that should go in the Daily BBQ.

-------------

So I'm driving down the highway on the 4th, and I see HUGE signs overhead. Electronic signs.

And you know what they say?
    New tougher DUI laws in effect.
    You booze, you cruise, you lose!
    Don't drink and drive.
    Now this brings back memories of another recent sign blitz in this fine state (and MANY OTHERS across the country):
    Click it or ticket!
    So I've come to the conclusion that unfair, unpopular, and questionably legal new laws are now being pitched to the public via bad grade-school rhymes.

The fact that seatbelts "save lives" is moot when you consider that FORCING people to wear them is HIGHLY dubious. I am firmly opposed to ANY law that purports to protect me from myself. If I want to wear no helmet and a bathing suit while riding a motorcycle... so be it.

If I want to skydive, nobody tries to stop me or tether me to the plane. LOTS OF PEOPLE die each year jumping from planes, but nobody is trying to outlaw it.

What business is it of the government's if I choose to drive without a seatbelt? None.

Do I ever? Hell no. I always wear my belt. But I REALLY dislike being "forced" to.

The new drunk driving laws are similarly silly. Do I ever drive drunk? No. Never. Drove "tipsy" once when I was too young to be drinking in the first place, and only had to go 2 blocks. NEVER AGAIN. But honestly, the new laws are a bit harsh and VERY unpopular.

Driving with a 0.08 BAC (the equivalent of a couple good stiff drinks) can get you arrested, and thrown in jail for up to 2 years! 2 DAMN YEARS! Now, I confess that for my wife, 0.08 would be too damn drunk to WALK, nevermind drive. But for a reasonable-sized individual with a reasonable alcohol tolerance, 0.08 is silly.

I've always questioned the sanity of lawmakers and police regarding alcohol. I've been told repeatedly that 10 shots of vodka will cause instant unconsciousness, and 15 will kill you. Tell that to the 25 I downed one evening. Don't remember much about it, but we WERE keeping count. For most of my college career, a TYPICAL night consisted of well over "10 shots".

Most people I know that drink more than casually can down a couple 6-packs in rapid succession without terribly adverse effect. I don't want them driving (remember that's about a 0.25 BAC!) but they're not "unconscious" or "dead".

So the entire thinking of the entire anti-drinking community is HIGHLY suspect when they can't get even the most basic facts straight.

So, now that we've gotten all that out of the way, I think I'm going to jump on the bandwagon.

Let's take EVERY really questionable law and make a silly rhyme.

How about the "statutory rape" law? You know, the one that says that if you're a college junior and you have sex with a freshman you can go to jail for 10 years? (If she's 17...)
    Stick it in her, in jail by dinner!
    I admit, it needs some work. But it has potential!

How about the federal drug laws (which are not only foolish, they're unconstitutional!)?
    California can kiss our ass, we'll lock you up for smoking grass!
    There, that's PURE poetry. How about the anti-sodomy laws? I realize those were struck down by the supreme court, but states will try to find a way, I'm sure... and considering that blowjobs from women are ALSO sodomy...
    Suck a dick, get whacked with a night stick!
    I could grow to like this job. It is a job - someone, somewhere is being paid MILLIONS to come up with these ****ing things. Let's all get in on the action.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Are you disagreeing with DUI laws in general or the specific new ones?

DUI laws are there to protect people from other people that either have insufficient self control or just do not care not just to protect the individual drinking thoguh when you get down to the dtails in most laws the details are stupid.

As for the rhyming, you remembered it didn't you? They were putting the rhyming sign up probably to get even the dumbest person to remember.

Comment

I have no problem with DUI laws. If a driver is ACTUALLY impaired, lock him up. I favor Germany's laws - just take away his license forever.

But then again, what's more impairing? Two beers? Or 3 days with no sleep? We don't have a "tired driving" law. Nor do we have a "cold medicine driving" law. Or a "being distracted by your girlfriend driving" law.

I realize that DUI laws are to "protect people". But let's face it - if you're drunk enough to be impaired on the road, you're ALSO drunk enough to think that getting in a car is a good idea regardless of the laws. That's the bad thing about drinking. It's not known for IMPROVING our decision-making abilities.

And the new harsher ones are just stupid. YES I favor harsh drunk driving laws. But I DO NOT favor lowering (again) the legal "limit" for BAC.

How about we go after KNOWN offenders? Teddy Kennedy killed a woman in a car when he was blitzed. We ELECT him every few years.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        Or a "being distracted by your girlfriend driving" law.
        - Gurm
        How about the anti-sodomy laws? I realize those were struck down by the supreme court, but states will try to find a way, I'm sure... and considering that blowjobs from women are ALSO sodomy...

Comment

Is Suicide "legal" in the US?
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Re: RANT: BAD Laws and Rhyming

Ok, here's another that should go in the Daily BBQ.

-------------

What business is it of the government's if I choose to drive without a seatbelt? None.

Well I suppose if I was an ambulance driver and had a free choice I'd leave you to die of your injuries since you can't be arsed to protect yourself.

The new drunk driving laws are similarly silly. Do I ever drive drunk? No. Never. Drove "tipsy" once when I was too young to be drinking in the first place, and only had to go 2 blocks. NEVER AGAIN. But honestly, the new laws are a bit harsh and VERY unpopular.

And how many times have you jumped into a car the morning after. Just out of interest and how do you know that you're under the limit ???

Last edited by The PIT; 8 July 2003, 10:54.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

We don't have a "tired driving" law. Nor do we have a "cold medicine driving" law. Or a "being distracted by your girlfriend driving" law.
              Jeez, keep quiet, wouldya? You're going to give some damned do-gooder IDEAS.

Anyway, I may be in error but I THINK that the Supreme Court ruled some time ago that where states are obliged to pay disability to drivers injured by not wearing seatbelts, the states are also obliged to pass seatbelt laws in order to minimize such injuries and subsequent payouts.

If true, then so much for "Constitutionality."

Helmet laws are less of an issue because motorcyclists are a relatively small (but vocal) minority and injuries to un-helmeted riders are more likely to result in death rather than disability, so the financial burden on the state is substantially less.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                Is Suicide "legal" in the US?
                No. ROFL.

It's punishable as a felony.

In some places, it carries the ... wait for it ... death sentence.

- Gurm

Comment

Re: Re: RANT: BAD Laws and Rhyming

Originally posted by The PIT
                  And how many times have you jumped into a car the morning after. Just out of interest and how do you know that you're under the limit ???
                  Zero, as a driver. I don't drive hung over any more than I drive drunk.

- Gurm

Comment

So is the seatbelt mandatory then or not? What about using your cell phone while your driving?

I love the irony
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

- Gurm
                      so it's kinda legal
                      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

The seatbelt is unenforceably mandatory.

Meaning that a policeman cannot pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt... but if you're pulled over for something ELSE (failure to use caution *cough*) you can be cited for it.

Comment

From 'The Dilbert Future', by Scott Adams:
                          People disagree on the question of whether it should be legal for a person to commit suicide, but people are in favor of getting tough on crime, including more use of the death penalty. Am I the only one who sees an obvious solution here?

Let's make it illegal to threaten yourself and let's make it punishable by death. If you threaten to kill yourself, the state kills you. That way everyone wins.

Prediction 55: In the future, it will be illegal to threaten yourself, and the penalty for doing so will be death.
                          And in the future, I'm going to be paying more attention to the prophet Adams.
                          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

The seatbelt is unenforceably mandatory.

Meaning that a policeman cannot pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt... but if you're pulled over for something ELSE (failure to use caution *cough*) you can be cited for it.
                            That depends on the state. In NJ, they just had a day where cops were hanging out at intersections. They'd walk down the street during red lights, issuing tickets to people without their seat belts.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

They CAN do it (in Oklahoma anyway), but they usually don't waste their time pulling people over just for not wearing their seatbelt, but as Gurm said they will definitely tack it on to something else they get you for.

Comment

Working...
                              X