Foam Shown to lead to Columbia's Demise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Shown to lead to Columbia's Demise

A chunk of foam insulation fired at shuttle wing parts Monday blew open a gaping 16-inch hole, yielding what one member of the Columbia investigation team said was the "smoking gun" that proves what brought down the spaceship.

The crowd of about 100 watching the test gasped and cried, "Wow!" when the foam hit — the impact so violent that it popped a lens off one of the cameras recording the event.

The foam struck roughly the same spot where insulation that broke off Columbia's external fuel tank smashed into the shuttle's left wing during launch. Investigators had speculated that the damage led to the shuttle's destruction during re-entry over Texas in February, but Monday's test offered the strongest proof yet.

"We have found the smoking gun," Columbia Accident Investigation Board member Scott Hubbard said of the panel's seventh and final foam-impact test.

The 1.67-pound piece of fuel-tank foam insulation shot out of a 35-foot nitrogen-pressurized gun and slammed into a carbon-reinforced panel removed from shuttle Atlantis.

The countdown boomed through loudspeakers, and the crack of the foam coming out at more than 530 mph reverberated in the field where the test was conducted.

Sixteen high-speed cameras captured the impact, and hundreds of sensors registered movements, stresses and other conditions. The impact was so strong — packing a full ton of force — that it damaged some of the gauges.

"There's a lot of collateral damage," said Hubbard, a high-ranking NASA (news - web sites) official.

Hubbard said the test results showed it would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible, for Columbia's astronauts to have repaired such a large hole in orbit. He stressed that the actual gap in Columbia's wing may have been a bit smaller — or possibly a bit bigger.

"We know that almost surely there was a breach on the order of 10 inches in diameter," he said. "Here we've got one 16, so that's in the same ballpark in my book."

He added: "The board's goal was to connect the dots between the foam-shedding event and the proximate or the direct cause of the accident, and that's what this whole test program has been about. I think today we made that connection."

Monday's test at the Southwest Research Institute — barely beating out an afternoon thunderstorm — best replicated the blow from debris that occurred 82 seconds into Columbia's liftoff in January.

Nonetheless, Hubbard expressed surprise at the results.

"It was in here," he said, smacking his fist into his belly. "It was like, `ah,' like that. It was a visceral reaction. It was shortly followed by `Oh, my God.' ... I felt surprise at how it appeared, such a dramatic punch-through. But it is the kind of damage, type of damage, that must have occurred to bring down the orbiter."

Two weeks ago, the investigation board identified the blow from the foam as the most probable cause of the accident that killed the seven astronauts. Hubbard said after Monday's test: "I think foam hitting the wing leading edge of the orbiter at 500 mph is the direct cause."

The board plans to release its final report by the end of this month. Much of the report "is going to deal with the other types of causes, contributing causes and other elements of the orbiter program over the last 20 years," Hubbard said.

One month ago, another carbon shuttle wing panel — smaller and farther inboard — was cracked by the impact, along with an adjoining seal. This time, the entire 11 1/2-inch width of the foam chunk — rather than just a corner during previous testing — hit the wing, putting maximum stress on the suspect area.

The five other previous tests in recent weeks involved fiberglass wing pieces taken from the shuttle prototype Enterprise (news - web sites), housed at the Smithsonian Institution (news - web sites). Those, too, were damaged.

Hubbard said it is questionable whether the best set of cameras trained on the shuttle during liftoff would have detected such a large hole, if they had been in focus, and they were not. He declined to say whether spy satellites would have observed such damage, but he noted that it was a black hole in a black piece of reinforced carbon.

During Columbia's flight, shuttle managers rejected engineers' request for spy satellite images to ascertain the extent of damage to the left wing.

Among the board's preliminary recommendations to NASA: improve launch photography, use take spy satellites to check out orbiting spaceships, conduct better testing of wing panels, and devise an inspection and repair plan for astronauts in orbit.

Monday's test cost $3.4 million

Too bad 7 people had to die partly to appease environmentalists
    Last edited by GT98; 8 July 2003, 06:58.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

The impact was so strong — packing a full ton of force — that it damaged some of the gauges
    Amazing.
    --Insert something here--

Comment

All because they used the "green" water based version of the foam instead of the original sticky version that was proven effective. Gotcha

Next budget priority should be to re-fund the space station rescue vehicle and complete the develpment on attaching it to a booster for use as a shuttle lifeboat. This vehicle is most of the way through development and has already sucessfully gone thorugh drop landing tests, so it's the furthest along solution and has enough seats.

Such a lifeboat is a necessity for the space station, the current shuttle or any followup shuttles. Not getting one in the air borders on criminal.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 July 2003, 10:51.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ah, but the sacrifice of seven humans is a small price to pay for preventing the environmental devastation caused by the toxic foam insulation, right?

Right?

Anybody?

Kevin

Comment

Apparently the enviro-whackos haven't learned about the law of unintended consequences

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Frankly, I don't understand what the Columbia/Spacelab mission was for. Why weren't those experiments being carried out on the Space Station? Isn't that what we built the damned thing for?

The space shuttle should be used from here on exclusively to build/support the ISS. Any on-orbit research that needs to be done should be done there.

Write your congressman.

Kevin

Comment

Not all "research" missions belong in an "International" location

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

now come on, you start to sound like a broken lp.

if they did a proper evaluation of the material before using it, they should have figured out if it would work or not. some tech-people have given their "go". if they had doubts, they were apparently not serious enough.

afterwards you always know more.

mfg
                wulfman
                "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                "Lobsters?"
                "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Aye. Not to mention that performing an experiment would require sending materials up there anyway, and getting them back down. So, that's one or two shuttle launches anyway. The Soyuz isn't so gentle on re-entry, and things would take a bit of a beating. And if you only want a week or two in space before you evaluate the results in a full lab on the ground, then the ISS is not for you either.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                    Apparently the enviro-whackos haven't learned about the law of unintended consequences

Dr. Mordrid
                    That's odd, I thought the Space Shuttle was designed by engineers, not environmentalists.

On a more serious note. It is exactly the type of optimistic assumptions that were apparently used when they switched foam material that lead to both Shuttle losses.

chuck

PS I have tried twice to fix that last sentence, to no avail.
                    Help me KvH
                    Last edited by cjolley; 8 July 2003, 13:55.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                      That's odd, I thought the Space Shuttle was designed by engineers, not environmentalists.

On a more serious note. It is exactly the type of optimistic assumptions that were apparently used when they switched foam material that lead to both Shuttle losses.

chuck

PS I have tried twice to fix that last sentence, to no avail.
                      Help me KvH
                      On a more serious note, apparently it is exactly that type of optimistic assumption -- used when they switched foam material --that led to the loss of both shuttles.

.. if I take your meaning correctly.

If it was my job to design this thing, there would never have been a bunch of crummy foam crap stuck to the outside of that tank. It would have had some sort of sheathing. And don't go telling me that this would add an unacceptable amount of weight to the entire package. You could have used a big cone of styrene plastic or light fiberglass.. anything that would have prevented the aerodynamic stress caused to this foam during liftoff. If it increases the weight so much, increase the power of the boosters or main engines to compensate. This was stupidity in action; if there were still Germans running this team, such lack of foresight would not have been an issue.

Comment

KvH,
                        Exactly,thanx.

In both cases they had a LOT of warning that they had the specific problems that failed.
                        It makes you wonder what else they are skating by with.

chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

They are fighting for funding, given their first choice they would have kept with it.

But when you are in situation where you have to appease vocal groups to keep the people funding you happy.

How much enviromental damage did making the foam really do. How much damage did the shuttle exploding do to the atmosphere...

While I think their are some unreasonably pressures placed on NASA for a lot of stuff they do, the final decison to go with the foam is their responsibilty.

It will be interesting what happens next, will they keep using the same foam, the original foam or a 3rd new improved foam

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                            They are fighting for funding, given their first choice they would have kept with it.

But when you are in situation where you have to appease vocal groups to keep the people funding you happy.
                            The problem is, the people have nothing to do with these "vocal groups." Most of the groups who have such an impact upon policy making have undue influence and do not represent anything but a fringe interest. At any rate, giving such views credence to the detriment of the primary pertinent mission of NASA is inexcusable. In this case, if such was done, it was murder, plain and simple. And if democracy is to remain valid, the influence of these groups must be contained, whether they represent environmental interests, black interests, women's interests, gay people's interests, or, perhaps most importantly, the interests of the board members of large corporations. The problem is, that even though public opinion in general is rather sensible and well known, it takes a back seat to special interests in Washington. This sort of thing completely invalidates our system of government and must not be allowed to continue. One thing I will never do is to vote for a black congressman. Why? Because there exists something called the Congressional Black Caucus, to which he or she will belong. The specific goals and aims of this group are to put the interests of the black community above all others, which would mean my congressman would no longer represent me, but some narrow-minded interest group. The same thing happens with the megacorps who think they own elected officials because they helped pay for their campaigns. This attitude is reflected by most congressmen (and other elected officials), as well, that they owe something to the directors of these big corporations much before the people they are supposed to be representing.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                              On a more serious note, apparently it is exactly that type of optimistic assumption -- used when they switched foam material --that led to the loss of both shuttles.

.. if I take your meaning correctly.

If it was my job to design this thing, there would never have been a bunch of crummy foam crap stuck to the outside of that tank. It would have had some sort of sheathing. And don't go telling me that this would add an unacceptable amount of weight to the entire package. You could have used a big cone of styrene plastic or light fiberglass.. anything that would have prevented the aerodynamic stress caused to this foam during liftoff. If it increases the weight so much, increase the power of the boosters or main engines to compensate. This was stupidity in action; if there were still Germans running this team, such lack of foresight would not have been an issue.
                              The main safety problem with the Shuttle in regards to the foam is its lateral takeoff configuration. The Soviet Buran/Energia would have suffered from this as well, but not as much because it used LOX/Kerosene, rather than LOX/LH2.

Oh, and you talk about having NASA updating the shuttle's engines when 1, yes 1, new rocket engine has been put into production in the last 25 years, the Boeing Delta IV's RS-68, which is itself a derivative of the Shuttle main engines.

Compare that with the plethora of Russian engines given much more meager budgets.....

The US no longer has an aerospace "industry" in regards to rocket production. It has government-owned, if in application rather than in name, companies of Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and Northrupp Grumman.

Take note that the Atlas V, from Lockheed Martin, uses a Russian RD-180 rocket motor. Also, the Sea Launch rocket, operated by Boeing, is a Ukranian Zenit rocket with a Russian upper stage.

We had best hope that the likes of XCor, SpaceX, Blue Origin, and the X-Prize teams are able to restore it...
                              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X