OT - Pine tree dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Pine tree dying

Since you guys seem to have a diverse knowledge here, I'll try my luck asking y'all.

My parents have a pine 20 foot pine tree in the backyard that is dried up. All the needles are brown and some of the limbs have broken off. It may already be dead, but if not, is there anything we can do to help it recover?

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Water it?... if not, cast a tree healing spell
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

If all the needles are brown, it's dead.
      Needles are the leaves on coniferous trees, and if they're all brown, there is no circulation in the tree, and it's dead.
      Cut it up for firewood.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

DON'T cut a pine tree up for firewood if you're going to use it in a fireplace or wood stove.

Pine logs burn cool and form more creosote than hardwood fuel. If you don't remove the bark this is exascerbated by the burning of the pine sap in the bark.

Cresote collects in the flue and chimney and eventually could cause a chimney fire of such intensity you wouldn't believe it.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 July 2003, 20:37.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Which isn't a problem IF a person properly cleans and maintains their fireplace/flue/chimney, something which is well publicised (at least around here), since many people burn pine all winter long in these parts.....
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Not here....unfortunately. At least not as much as it should be given about every new house has 1-2 fireplaces

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Here in Colorado, there are not a lot of different kinds of trees harvested for firewood. There is pine/spruce, which is sold everywhere and aspen, which takes forever to dry enough to burn (so it's not popular with wood sellers). Other woods are imported from other states, and double the price of local pine.
              So pine is generally the wood of choice for fireplaces here.
              Every fall/winter, the news is flooded with advisories about getting you chimney cleaned, and stories of chimney fires in the homes of ignorant US easterners who haven't had their chimneys cleaned for 5 years ...

Comment

Yeah, Pine actually burns nice and hot if you let it age for 4 years too. :P
                Over here in the northeast most people burn maple or oak hardwoods, so it leave very little residue and if you keep the stove hot you don't get any buildup in the chimney.

Comment

Dumb question: How do you keep say...rain and snow from coming down your open top chimney?

Comment

You don't if it's a bare opening. To prevent it you get a chimney cap. This is a (usually) metal "gazebo" type affair with perforated sides that sits over the opening.

A well designed one keeps out rain, snow and critters.....which is an even bigger problem than the moisture in places like Michigan.

Absent a cap you'll end up with squirrels, raccoons and other such wildlife nesting in the chimney or even getting into the house if you're stupid enough not to close the flue.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 July 2003, 07:57.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Never heard that here. But then, most fireplaces here are gas anymore.
                      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                      X