assign drive letter to a folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• assign drive letter to a folder

I think i remember sth. like that was possible in XP but for the life of me i cant find, anyone an idea?
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

you can in the disk management part of the computer management control panel change the path of drives, from here you can select to mount a drive in a folder.. a unix sort of way of accessing it.. as for making e.g. d:\documents -> e:\ .. I don't know of any way.
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

You mean ... create a partition on your hard drive and mount it to a folder?

1) Open Disk Management (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management)

Otion #1 - if the drive already exists (not free space) and you simply want to change the drive mapping to a folder.

2) Right-click on the partition in the graphic on the bottom of the frame, select Change Drive Letter and Paths....

3) You can either Add (in which case you'll have a drive letter and a folder) or Change the drive to your desired folder location.

Option #2 - Free space

2) Right-click on the free space, select 'New Primary(Logical) Drive...'

3) Run through the normal setup steps, but when it asks you what drive letter you want to use, instead select 'Mount in the following empty NTFS folder...'. NOTE: the folder must be empty of all content to mount to it.

4) Chose desired location and done.

This will only work if you're using NTFS, btw. If you use Dynamic Disk, the names are a little different (Basic volume instead of Primary Drive, etc), but it's the same steps.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

no i want want to do: i have a folder now, lets call it c:\M\U\R\C and i just want to create a shortcut to it .. however not a traditional shortcut but a drive letter shortcut. so that from now on i can click on lets say drive Y: and it will take me to that folder.

Comment

I remember this used to be possible with old versions of MS-DOS years ago. I think the command was SUBST. But that's probably not what you want, sorry...
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Subst still works just fine, the problem is that any halfway-decent program sees right through it.

There are plenty of "mount a folder as a drive letter" tools, I just can't think of the names of any offhand.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I got a util at home that does this, can't remember what it is called I'll find out when I get back

Comment

Just share the folder in the normal way and map a drive to it i.e. if you shared it as MyFolder then map a drive to \\MyPC\MyFolder
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Oooh yes thanks Taz, forgot about that one myself even though I've done it a number of times.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Doesn't work too well on Windows 9x though as it has a habit of trying to map the share before the networking is fully started thus resulting in "The computer could not be found" type errors
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

You know also I think VDMSound has this built in, as many old DOS games will ONLY run from the root of a drive, or a first-level subfolder.

- Gurm

Comment

SUBST does exaclty what i need only problem is the drive doesnt appear in My Computer.

Comment

Imgtools is the program I was thinking of, it's got a function that will do exactly what you want. <a href="http://www.coujo.de/portal/portal_database.php?action=view&fid=5&cid=1&stylei d=1">You can grab it here...</a>

Comment

Working...
                          X