What Production Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Production Vehicle

would you use if you had to drive it off the dealer lot, hook up a trailer it will tow with provisions, and drive 2000 miles across a hilly desert with no ability to obtain additional provisions or help along the way?

I would vote for a Toyota Land Cruiser, considering Toyota build quality off the showroom and also the poor mileage some more extreme 4wheelers get and the need to haul your gasoline.
    Last edited by Brian R.; 5 July 2003, 21:04.

Done and did that with a land cruiser on a regular basis. damn good machine
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Most likely a Range Rover, Toyota Land Cruiser or Jeep Cherokee, properly prepared of course.

I'm thinking oversized tranny cooler and radiator, Baha lights, a charge of synthetic lubricants for engine, tranny and wheel bearings, over sized or dual fuel tanks, appropriate tires & rims, extra tire racks plus any heavy duty off road options you can get.

I'd also take a complete tool kit (metric and SAE), extra fuel pump and pickup, 2-3 complete extra filter kits (air, oil, breathers etc.), 2-3 oil changes (oil dies fast in the desert heat), extra synthetic wheel bearing, tranny & rear axel lubes, a water generation kit (plastic sheets, shovel, 1 oz. fishing sinkers & several 12 oz cups) etc. etc.

You can never be too prepared

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 July 2003, 08:40.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Dodge Ram 2500/3500 V10 pickemup truck.
        My pop's got one, and we haul a large boat from denver to lake powell a couple times a year with it. Thing will do 80mph without a pause, never even noticing it's hauling a large load. Even going up the big hills in the rocky mountains, it will handily pass most vehicles on the highway....

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Doc - What, no laptop?

Comment

Well, if I had to be comfy, Range Rover.

If I just had to get the job done...

Probably a Defender 90.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Ford F350 Diesel Pickup

Maybe a Dodge 1 ton diesel
              Last edited by KvHagedorn; 5 July 2003, 21:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.
                Doc - What, no laptop?
                My experience comes from running around the desert southwest US for a month in my youth. We took a Rover and had a great time, but not without breakdowns or troubles. Such it is over that kind of terrain.

I probably would take a laptop, but wouldn't forget some form of radio communications rig as well.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

In oz, land cruiser or land rover is the way to go, with the land cruiser being the preference. for work I had one with dual tanks, real bull bar, spots powerful enough to use as an emergecy break, winch etc etc.

oh and did I mention you could get parts anywhere for the LC?
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I'd take a VW Lupo deisel and ship the trailer as Freight via rail...
                    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

The important thing is the winch. It can get you out of a whole host of trouble if it should rain. And don't forget a GPS so that you can radio your position if all your precautions are in vain. Always carry at least three times as much water as you think you ever could possibly need and then some. Also, it is better to travel with two vehicles, if possible. If you should break down ALWAYS STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

Edit: carry a large mirror so that you can flash a search party/plane and have a smoke signal ready for lighting. Don't forget the matches, either.
                      Last edited by Brian Ellis; 6 July 2003, 01:18.
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I'd do it in my Saturn!!! It can go anywhere! (it sure hells proved itself yesterday!)

Seriously, I'd want to try it in an LM200 or Lan Rover.
                        Last edited by ZokesPro; 6 July 2003, 04:11.
                        Titanium is the new bling!
                        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I must say, there are some great advices here (the oversized coolers, the GPS, ...). I doubt I'll ever need them (if you can drive 10km in Belgium without seeing a house, another car or a cyclist, let me know ).

Apart from a winch, wouldn't some (don't know how they are called, but they are sometimes needed in rallys like Paris-Dakar) metal plates and a (small) shovel be usefull, should you get stuck in the sand without anything close enough to attach the winch to ? The plates could be placed under the wheels, as to provide more grip to get the car out of the sand.

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                          Edit: carry a large mirror so that you can flash a search party/plane and have a smoke signal ready for lighting. Don't forget the matches, either.
                          A flare gun (or several flares) might perhaps do the trick ?

(I'd vote for a Hummer H1 )

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

A question: What do you really think of a hummer (military or civilian) for this task?

Comment

landrover

All the kit Brian and Dr M mentioned.

company

RedRed
                              Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Working...
                              X