Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P750 has arrived! But, some problems. :(

Hi all,

I am glad to report that I finally have my P750 here and installed. However, I have had some problems. I immediately went for the latest drivers, but after much playing around, I realized that they don't work properly on my machine. I have an ASUS A7N8X motherboard (nForce2 chipset), 1.2 GHz Athlon and 512 MB of Crucial PC2100 ram. I also have an M-Audio Delta 410 sound card.

When I load the latest drivers, I find that my AGP settings are messed up. Specifically, if I go into dxdiag, I find that AGP Texture Acceleration is "not available". When I try to run SimCity 4, everything looks messed up, probably because of this.

If I go back to the 1.4.1.3 drivers, I am ok in most respects. However, when I try to run the DirectDraw and Direct3D tests in dxdiag, they don't behave as expected, but rather, they change to a low resolution, with no test and then black out, hanging the machine. I suppose that this could be related to the nForce2 incompatability in the drivers, but I was just wondering.

I am also having problems running Warcraft 3, but that has existed since before I installed the card. I believe that the solution is to be able to set all of the individual video mode settings, disabling some, but I don't know how to do this. In the G400 powerdesk, it was quite easy and intuitive. In the P750 powerdesk, many of the features that I've come to expect and depend on are no longer there, unless I am missing something.

So, any help on any of these problems would be much appreciated.

Nathan

P.S. Does anyone use Glyph anti-aliasing as opposed to cleartype? Would it be possible via a driver update to make the card do ClearType in hardware? That would be nice.

Oops

I forgot to mention that I am running DirectX 9.0a and nVidia's nForce 2.03 chipset drivers. But, I have tried 2.41 and 2.42 also.

Nathan

Comment

Which driver version?
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Driver

I guess I should have said a number. It is the 1.4.2.7 WHQL drivers for WinXP (the ones that don't give me AGP at all). I mentioned in the original post that 1.4.1.3 are the ones that I am running now.

Nathan
        Last edited by ncfoster; 5 July 2003, 19:37.

Comment

Ok, I just fired up using the 1.4.1's with no major problems graphic wise (my residents hate me).

As an extra check, I ran dxdiag I have texture acceleration available for the first head - not the second (no suprise there).

I'm running a SIS746 chipset. This may be related to the nforce problem (which is being addressed) or maybe something else in your system.

Most of the performance options are available in powerdesk-> quality and performance settings - >3d

Stick with the 1.4.1's for now if they work for you.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

The options that I am missing are the ability to choose refresh rates, color depths, etc. that are available to programs other than the default desktop resolution. It can stop programs from attempting to use a bad configuration, I've found.

Nathan

Comment

Remember the ictonic review???

It cited issues with the NForce2 and P-series...
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I remember that, but the only issues that I recall were instability when large amounts of data were pushed over the AGP bus. Maybe I missed something. Anyhow, I hope those problems are fixed soon.

Nathan

Comment

Working...
                X