OT-DVD set-top problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-DVD set-top problem

I have a Grundig set-top DVD player. If I play a commercial DVD, it may give one or two minor glitches in a 2 hr film.

If I play a DVD-R, VCD-R or SVCD-R, it will work OK to start with but, after a time (varying from 5 to 50 minutes), it will start to glitch in the same way (slight hesitations), then the glitches will become progressively more frequent and longer, until the whole caboodle jams solid. If I try to replay, the glitches are often but not always at the same places.

The same DVDs play faultlessly on the computer, so it is not the burning. DVD-Rs that used to play faultlessly on the same set, also show the problem, now. It seems to be getting progressively worse.

The Grundig machine has a Korean drive in it, I believe.

Does anyone else have or have had a similar problem and has anyone a suggestion to improve it?

Ta much in advance!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Brian is the unit in free air? Could it be a heat problem that the dvd-r is showing problems more than a dvd?
    smitty

Comment

It is on an open shelf with about 30 cm free above and to three sides. The fourth side is about 5 cm from a vertical, but there are no ventilation slots in it. It was in this position when it did work. It is true that DVDs (commercial and home-brewed) do seem to be hot to the touch immediately on withdrawal (guestimate 45 - 50 C), but taking one out, letting it cool and starting again at a chapter which gave problems reproduced the same problems.

My feeling is that the problem may be mechanical.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I had a prob with a Yamaha CD player somewhat the same.
        it would skip for no apperant reason. when I took it apart I found
        that the top location mechanism 'floated' to find center of the CD.
        the mechanism consisted of a floating center locator with a small
        ball bearing on top that would find center of the cd and then contact a plastic cap above that.
        this plastic cap allowed the ball to wander or skate to find it's center.
        unfotunetly t had worn a small dimple in the hat, and would cause the cd to spin off-center.
        I glued a small metal disc to the plastic top portion (thereby fixing the dimple), and VOILA, everything was OK!

not saying this is your problem, but might justify having a look see.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
        X