Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just watching a panic broadcast about changing weather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just watching a panic broadcast about changing weather.

I don't mind them broadcasting such stuff but I wish they'd get the facts right.
    Okay I can't comment on the number of tornados in America or the the temperature in india.
    I'll leave that to the Americans and India who have the figures themselfs. There must be someone else here that records weather from those countries who can comment.
    I can comment on the statement that it was the warmest June in england since 1976. Rubbish. It was the warmest June since 2000. 1992 was hotter as was June 1976. It was a dry month until the last day when the months average rainfall fell.
    One thing that has been happening in the last few years is the amount of rain falling in a short period. This is something that hasn't really happened in Sheffield until a few days ago. But there seems to be an increase in heavy downpours or it gets reported more readily. But it's only for the last few years you can't say it's a trend.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Summer tornados in the American midwest and southwest are as common as mushrooms in an English woods, and have been so in all of my 53 years on Earth. You get some variability year to year, but only the enviro-whackos make anything of it. The oldsters know better.

It was worse when I was younger. Hell, I can remember seeing four of 'em in a line heading for our area back on the 4th of July, 1976. Haven't seen anything like that since. Yes, they missed us

In a separate catagory are the Green Storms I've mentioned previously in this forum. Call 'em inland hurricanes or giant tornados if you will, but 20+ miles wide and like hell on Earth they are....with a near-luminous green sky and 100-140+ mph winds. Spooky as hell.....

The last one in the Detroit area was in July, 1980, and as far as I'm concerned they can stay away.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 July 2003, 15:01.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

In the 1980's we had a TV program saying the world was getting colder and the new ice age was due.

In the 1990's country file a farmers programme had the presenter standing in dry river bed saying the climate is getting dryer and this river would never run again. This was after a run of three dryish years.

Five years later he couldn't stand in the river as it was flowing back normally. The only good thing about that panic is that it got the water companies to fix much of the leaking water system.

In 1987 after the storms in the southeast of the country we were told to expect more of the same type of storms. It has really happened.

The only things I noticed is much less Snow in winter and if I walk around the peak district it no longer looks wild and hostile if you understand my meaning.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm glad you entitled the thread with "weather" and not "climate".

I suspect I saw the same thing on BBC World News last night, a 90 second item right at the end. I can't answer for the UK where the statistics tend to stop north of Hatfield. What I do know is I was in Switzerland last month and it was sheer HELL, temperatures in the mid-30s with RHs in the upper 90s. I've known it more comfortable in Malaysia and Indonesia. Switzerland had the warmest June since records began 250 years ago, and not just by a fraction of a degree, but by two whole degrees. However, this was a freak weather condition and little to do with climate.

The latter half of June has been inordinately hot here, as well, and is continuing. Today's forecast for the Nicosia area is 40 deg C, a temperature very rarely reached in early July (quite usual in late July, early August).
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

According to the Met office the temperature has gone up by 0.6C over the last century. However the change has accerlated.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
          X