RedRed
3rd July 2003, 04:39
AND its not G B ][....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3040714.stm

What doe that guy think he is on....

RedRed

The PIT
3rd July 2003, 04:46
Sounds like he lost his temper and said something on the spur of the moment. Forgot to put brain in gear before opening his mouth.
Should have apolagised striaght away though.

thop
3rd July 2003, 04:46
The Nazi thing will haunt the germans forever ... i can tell you they will still make these comparisons in 500 years.

The PIT
3rd July 2003, 04:57
Thop you're right there.

Admiral
3rd July 2003, 05:52
It's funny how Berlusconi would do such a comparison and yet have such a great admiration for Mussolini :rolleyes:

cjolley
3rd July 2003, 06:12
Thank God Rupert Murdoch wasn't born in the USA.
chuck

Tjalfe
3rd July 2003, 06:50
Unfortunately people will probably call Germans Nazis for a long time when they are mad at them. It is too bad, but a reality...as previously discussed...
:(
http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42529

Brian Ellis
3rd July 2003, 07:19
Berlusconi's remark sounded almost like Jean-Marie Le Pen. The latter has received the EU's come-uppance. Why not the former? If he had a milligram of decency in him, he would not only apologise, but also resign from EU Office.

I wonder whether impeachment is possible in the EU???

cjolley
3rd July 2003, 07:29
Originally posted by Brian Ellis
..If he had a milligram of decency in him...

Don't hold your breath.
chuck

Brian R.
3rd July 2003, 08:57
Actually, there are people who still profess to be nazis in Chicago. (ref. "The Blues Brothers")

:)

KvHagedorn
3rd July 2003, 09:06
If Berlusconi was not a thoroughly corrupt mafioso, he would not have been scolded for hiding from bribery charges in the first place..

The PIT
3rd July 2003, 10:19
Well he's apolagised apparently but the row won't go away. He's looking rather like a fool.

agallag
3rd July 2003, 10:49
Originally posted by Brian R.
Actually, there are people who still profess to be nazis in Chicago. (ref. "The Blues Brothers")

:)

I hate Illinois Nazis! :D

Greebe
3rd July 2003, 11:03
I was watching a PBS show on Billy Collins a few nights ago and think one part fits this fairly well...

Billy (Wealthiest Poet Laureate in the world and most popular currently) was chatting with a man at a dinner party when the man asked Billy what he did for a living. I'm a poet, replied Billy. To which the man replies, Oh that's nice, my 9 year old daughter likes to read poetry.

So Billy asks the man what profession he is in. I'm a banker, replied the man. To which Billy replies, Oh that's nice, I saw my son the other day playing with change.

:D

paulcs
3rd July 2003, 11:20
Originally posted by cking4
Mr. Berlusconi would, however, feel right at home here in America, where hurling the "Nazi" epithet at
someone you disagree with (for any reason whatsoever) is actually standard operating procedure for those on
the Left...

Actually, Mr. Berlusconi's favorite epithet is "communist," which he has been known to call his opponents on the Italian center-left and mainstream right.

Use of the word "Nazi" may strike some as ironic, as Andre alluded to, because his polictical party, Forza Italia, formed a coalition with the National Alliance (formerly the neo-Fascist MSI) and the Northern League.

Paul

Drizzt
3rd July 2003, 11:46
Don't loose yourself in our politic, friends, as we are a really strange people.

(however, just my two cents:
Berlusconi is always innocent, for the Italian justice, as long as he has not political powers. Every time he goes to the government, our magistrates unexpectedly discover he is guilty of all the Italian crimes ever committed.
This is something that is going on since he decided to enter in politics, and we [Italians] are going to find it a bit annoying...Even those on the left are annoyed with this. -_- )

(why don't we move this to the Temp? :) )

drslump
3rd July 2003, 12:00
Berlusconi didn't call the german guy "nazi" he said him could play the "kapů" role. This is the name given to a prisioner how collaborates with nazis.

The PIT
3rd July 2003, 12:14
Originally posted by drslump
Berlusconi didn't call the german guy "nazi" he said him could play the "kapů" role. This is the name given to a prisioner how collaborates with nazis.

Well it depends on how it was inferred. I.E You are behaving like a Nazi so you can have a part acting like one.

KvHagedorn
3rd July 2003, 13:32
Originally posted by Drizzt
Don't loose yourself in our politic, friends, as we are a really strange people.

BTW, Drizzt, your usage of "people" in this sentence is absolutely correct. :)

RedRed
3rd July 2003, 13:49
I actually saw the speach - I was off work and bored.

It was covered by cnbc - all the english new services were covering beckams medical:eek:

It was crazy!

he reall did appear to think that he was making some kind of joke!
The look on the faces of the MEP's and the chairman was like a wave of disbelief crossing the floor.

he also called for Israel to be made a member of the EEC!

RedRed

Drizzt
3rd July 2003, 16:35
Originally posted by RedRed

he reall did appear to think that he was making some kind of joke!
RedRed

RedRed, Italians ALWAYS joke on everything. It's a sort of tradition... (and I'm not going to report here the jokes we use in reference to our own mothers...)