Wake on LAN... how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake on LAN... how?

At work we use VNC to connect to our machines from outside the office. But when we go home, we of course turn our machines off.
    So we are trying to see if we can somehow get them to do "wake on lan" when we try to connect to them.

Digging around a bit on google, it seems that you have to send a very specific package/buffer/message to get the machine to boot. That is the wake on lan package is apparently very specific!?

Is there some little utility/tool that can send such a package? That way we could use that first, and then connect via VNC when the machine has booted!

PS: The network adapters do support WOL and they are all connected to the WOL connector on the motherboard.

Any help much appreciated
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Never mind, I found something, problem solved
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Aren't you going to tell us?
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Ow alright

I found a little program called Magic Packet on AMD's website (or well a link to AMD). Not all that handy but it got the job done. If you supply it with a subnet mask, it'll scan your lan for machines and log their MAC addresses. With that you can then send the correct "WOL packet" to any machine on the net.

Also found some PERL scripts which do basically the same. So we're gonna have one of the script guys make something for our intranet/internal website. We can access that from outside. So with the right script we should be able to log in to the 'internal website' and boot any machine in the house.

Here is where I found Magic Packet

There, now I shared

Comment

Thanks
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
          X