Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS XP just a facelift?

Hi Guys

Just want to be sure, got an interview and they say you must know your way around XP.

Anyway win2k user and I don't expect I will have a problem, after all we are talking Windows here, but is it just a face lift or are there any major extras.

I keep hearing the unplug net connection etc when installing drivers etc but other then that anything..

Pretty much, there are a few extra options but the transition between 2K and XP is relatively smooth. (imo)
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Cheers Zokes.

Cool, what I thought but as I said, just needed to be sure.

Now my Avatar is below yours, he has a pretty interesting view.

Comment

It looks like FIsher Price but that can be changed and it does appear to be faster and smoother for startup and shutdown. Memory footprints are similar. XP on one of my work machines actually had a smaller footprint. If only it was not for the product activation and ridiculous license agreements, XP would be really nice.

Comment

Product activation was a reaosn for me never upgrading, that I didn't see any other benefits.

OT: Still only 18 games completed High_Jumbllama?
          Last edited by dbdg; 30 June 2003, 10:11.

Comment

Slightly more than that. I was on a gaming spree when I first put that in my sig. I now have too much work and other current obligations to give much time at all to gaming. After my move is finished, that should free up a good amount of time and work urgency has dropped to a near imperceptibale level so I will have to get back into some gaming. I did get rid of some games so I do not even have as many and I bought a second Nintendo system so I can have a spare. The only two new games I have bought/received since Christmas were Warcraft III and UT2003. I am still looking to get or at least play the demos of Star Trek Voyager Elite Force II and Unreal II.

Comment

I wouldn't bother playing the demo of Unreal II, takes longer to install then it does to play. Plus there was a video on the net a little while ago showing gameplay, well what a surprise you play the exact same area so you know what is going to happen.

Comment

WinXP is technically Windows version 5.1, which would put it as an upgrade to Win2k.

Essentially it is Win2k with an upgraded GUI and fixed A/V sub-systems.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It's alos probably the first operating system where Microsoft actually took out more bloat than they added.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                    It's alos probably the first operating system where Microsoft actually took out more bloat than they added.
                    What? 2k? probably, yes.

Windows XP = Windows bloat edition.

Runs great after disabling all the crap though

Comment

I would try winXP before going to that job interview.. the "fisher price" interface can seem quite confusing at first sight imho.

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Win XP = bloat city imho. I have XP running on my new box(P4 2.4GHz) and it is alot slower then good old Windows 2K. They have added alot more bloat on top of Win2k that eats up memory and performance. Right now with alot things turned off my XP box is still slower then my Win2K box when it was running on an Athlon 1.2GHz.

*sigH* damn bloat
                        The poster formerly known as "ahardjan"

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                          Runs great after disabling all the crap though
                          So true!
                          <font size="1" color="green">Holly: "Appreciate what vou've got, because basically, I'm fantastic!"</font>

Comment

Unfortunately I can't get anywhere near an XP box, all my makes have stuck with 2k.

I will be the it person so hopfully no one will notice my, where is the start button?

Comment

Originally posted by az
                              I would try winXP before going to that job interview.. the "fisher price" interface can seem quite confusing at first sight imho.

AZ
                              Yeah, my thoughts exactly. There are a few little differences to the point where you'll wanna sit down and tinker one w/ a few hours first.

Comment

Working...
                              X