Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing an internet connection on a win2k box

Hi people.

I thought I would finally get round to giving Linux a go, as I now have a cheapo 2nd box to put it on. This was (still is dual booting it) running WinXP, and my main rig runs win2k and has the ADSL connection (via a USB modem...). The 2 machines are connected using a crossover cable, and I have managed to share the internet connection in windows fine.

Now I have installed Mandrake 9.1/KDE on the second box (the one not connected directly to the internet), and would like to be able to use the internet connection from both machines.

I am a COMPLETE newbie when it comes to Linux, so please take it slowly...

So how do I go about setting up:

a) the 2 computers so that they can see each other, share files etc when I am running Win2k on one and Mandrake on the other

b) (the important & I guess difficult bit) the Linux machine so that it can use the internet connection on the Win2k machine?

Step-by-step would be nice!

Thanks
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

The answers to your questions are in the documentation.

Go to http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fdoc.php3 and read the docs for "Everyday Applications".

Comment

Ah! Thankyou... will try this:

out tonight

Comment

Ooh. This Linux stuff is quite good these days isn't it? All I had to do was have my win2k box turned on with ZoneAlarm OFF (although that's the same as when internet connection sharing with win-win machines...), when starting up the Linux box. And everything just worked. Easy as pie. Cool!

Now just gotta work out how to change the screen resolution...

Comment

After a little bit of reading, it seems the above was so easy because of the inclusion of "LinNeighborhood" which is standard in Mandrake 9.1 (as opposed to 9.0). Which is nice. It would seem that it is a easy "wizard" type interface for Samba, but in this case did everything automatically...

Comment

Well, Mandrake has a reputation for being easy to use.

Comment

Which is good because I haven't got a clue what I'm doing

Comment

Working...
              X