AIDS breakthrough....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AIDS breakthrough....

an antibody that neutralizes the virus and its structure have been discovered.

Linking doesn't work, so here's the article;

ICBerkshire

‘Breakthrough’ in bid for Aids vaccine Jun 27 2003

Scientists have made a vital breakthrough in the search for an Aids vaccine, according to new research.

Experts from The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI), based in California, in the United States, have solved the structure of an antibody which neutralises the HIV virus.

The findings, reported in the latest issue of respected journal Science, will boost the search to find a vaccine for HIV/Aids, which killed more than four million people in 2001.

TSRI Professor Ian Wilson, one of two professors who led the research said: "Nothing like this has ever been seen before."

HIV causes Aids by binding to, entering and ultimately, killing T helper cells - immune cells that are necessary to fight off infections.

The World Health Organisation estimates that about 40 million people are living with HIV worldwide.

An important part of any potential vaccine will be a component that elicits or induces effective neutralising antibodies against HIV in the blood of the vaccinated person.

Also called immunoglobins, antibodies are the basis for many existing vaccines, including those against measles, polio, hepatitis B, and hepatitis A.

'Good' antibodies bind to and neutralise the virus, making it unable to invade cells.

Because neutralising antibodies attack the virus before it enters cells, they could conceivably be used to prevent HIV infection if they were present prior to virus exposure.
    Cross your fingers....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 June 2003, 12:51.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Good news
    so do you think a vaccine will be available in a reasonable time now.. or still many years away?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

We can hope. Makes you wonder why they have not found a cure for cancer. Maybe in time....
      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Doc what are the chances of the aids virus mutating and making this useless???
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Virii do mutate some, but not all, of their surface structure. Otherwise they could not consistantly attach to a cell wall and infect it.

If they're targeting an unchanging attachment attachment or some other portion that doesn't change from strain to strain then it's looking good.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
            We can hope. Makes you wonder why they have not found a cure for cancer. Maybe in time....
            The vast majority of cancers are NOT caused by an infectious agent, so antibodies aren't going to help in terms of creating a vaccine etc.

Also; each type of cancer and metastatic cell is different...often from patient to patient. It's finding what's the same and vulnerable to attack in most cancers that most of the research is all about.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc I thought that this was one of the problems with the aids virus, that it constantly mutated. I thought I saw an article somewhere where medical bloke doubted they would ever find a cure becuase of this.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It does, but that doesn't mean it changes 100% every time. Each change is usually minor with most of the viruses surface remaining the same. This surface is what an antibody attached to.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I've read that this antibody came from a person who was infected but never developed anything. Pretty interesting stuff....
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

There were several such persons identified in the US over the years, and some have been infected since HIV was discovered. Work has been ongoing on why they didn't develop AIDS, so maybe this is the result.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

so do you think a vaccine will be available in a reasonable time now.. or still many years away?
                      With the way the US FDA is it probably won't be available for human use for another 5-10years.

Joel
                      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

here's hoping...
                        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

What Joel said. Not to mention the fact that if Americans patent anything related to this, it'll cost you DEARLY. Sure we'll cure you, if your filthy stinking rich.
                          Bart

Comment

HIV treatments are covered under both insurance and Medicaid, so you don't have to be rich.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Do you remember the orginal fuss about aids and that it would wipe us all out in a few years?

Never came true did it.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X