Windows 2k3 Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2k3 Support?

Hi all, i recentley got hold of Windows Server 2003 (I was previously using Windows xp pro) and i found that driver support is a bit lacking.

Unfortunatley ATI (who make my current card) have no plans on supporting Windows 2003 officially. Do Matrox? Im just looking round at the moment to see what manufactuers support, or have plans to support the OS. Im using it as my Workstation incidentally - goes against the grain i guess but with win2k3 it really does make a better workstation OS than XP lol.

Thanks
    Posted by Robert

CPU| Athlon XP 2200+ MEMORY| 512MB (DDR400) STORAGE| 82GB IBM UDMA100 DISPLAY| ATI Radeon AIW 9700pro OS| Windows Server 2003 (Standard Edition)

No plans NOW... because it's still a beta OS.

When it's out, it'll be supported, just like every OTHER operating system.

Only very rarely do companies actually release a driver specifically for a "beta" operating system.

That said, I think you'll find the XP drivers work very well in 2003.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Beta??

It went RTM on the 28th of March 2003. Build 3790.
      Posted by Robert

CPU| Athlon XP 2200+ MEMORY| 512MB (DDR400) STORAGE| 82GB IBM UDMA100 DISPLAY| ATI Radeon AIW 9700pro OS| Windows Server 2003 (Standard Edition)

Comment

forget what I typed before - it came out wrong.

T.
        Last edited by Fat Tone; 27 June 2003, 05:47.
        FT.

Comment

Re: Windows 2k3 Support?

Originally posted by Robert Hague
          Hi all, i recentley got hold of Windows Server 2003 (I was previously using Windows xp pro) and i found that driver support is a bit lacking.

Unfortunatley ATI (who make my current card) have no plans on supporting Windows 2003 officially. Do Matrox? Im just looking round at the moment to see what manufactuers support, or have plans to support the OS. Im using it as my Workstation incidentally - goes against the grain i guess but with win2k3 it really does make a better workstation OS than XP lol.

Thanks
          I think I hear Omega drivers work with it amongst all the noise on Rage 3d. But it could be just noise.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Uh ... Gurm ... Win2k3 Server has been RTM and out for a while now. That's why they have all those ads on TV for it.

W2k3 Server is designed as a 'pure server' OS, so most consumer product drivers will not be ported to it. Most WinXP drivers will work in Win2k3 though ... unless it's a M$ mouse of keyboard, in which case you are SCREWED! Because the M$ installed detects the OS and bombs the install and the driver files are locking in the CAB.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Is it just me? or is Microsoft not supporting much of their own hardware anymore?
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

They haven't updated their whql yet - msdn win2003 catalog, technet turned up nothing useful.

Perhaps download some beta drivers and have a look inside to catch a clue about future win2k3 support?
                Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

Yikes. Sorry, my bad. Eyes saw "2003" and brain thought "Longhorn".

But yeah, Omega's drivers work. In fact, 90+% of XP drivers work.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Where can i get the omega's? I keep hearing about them, i remember seeing some for NVIDIA cards too but i never really botherd as i had no problems with my nvidia boards.
                    Posted by Robert

Comment

Oh and just quickly - To what i said originally, are Matrox planning on releasing some 'offical' WHQL Win2k3 drivers?
                      Posted by Robert

Comment

Omega drivers
                        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                          Is it just me? or is Microsoft not supporting much of their own hardware anymore?
                          yup, they abandon their own hw as fast as they can
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                            yup, they abandon their own hw as fast as they can
                            As I found out.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

No no. I daresay MOST MS hardware is still supported... usually natively. They just sometimes stop releasing "add-on" drivers when the native OS support is "up to par".

Now, the question is - is THEIR idea of "up to par" the same as yours? Probably not. You probably have a favorite feature that they killed.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X