Teachers right to carry firearms....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers right to carry firearms....

in public schools given preliminary approval in Utah....

The Jordan School Board gave preliminary approval Tuesday to a policy outlining the conditions under which district employees may carry a concealed weapon on school property with a valid permit.

Employees must keep the weapon concealed and employees who legally use a concealed weapon on school grounds do so in their individual capacities, not their scope of employment.

The Jordan board will formally vote on the policy at its July 16 meeting.

Both policies are in response to a law passed during the 2003 legislative session, Senate Bill 108, that harmonized conflicting parts of state code. One section allowed concealed weapons on school campuses, while another prohibited it.
    The Jordan school district is the largest in Utah, covering over 250 square miles of Salt Lake County. It has more than 72,000 students & 7,200 employees.

"Concealed carry" laws have been passed in 32 of the 50 US states, mainly permitting those with no criminal or mental health record and who have taken a classes on the CC law and fundamental marksmanship to license and carry a concealed weapon in public places.

A common feature of a CC law is the definition of where weapons can and cannot be carried, which is what this legislation and the action of the Jordan school board are all about.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 June 2003, 22:32.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

This is a very bad idea IMO. Although I am all for owning firearms, I think allowing people to carry and conceal firearms on school grounds is dangerous.

I also think that this promotes a society that thinks it needs to be armed all the time and I am against that. Kids should not be exposed to guns in an environment where they should feel safe.

Of course,w e all know where this will lead. A shooting will happen...eventually. At least if the gun is not on campus to begin with then there is a less likely chance of something happening. I can't think of any good reason for anybody to carry a gun on schools grounds. If society as a whole feels that we need to have guns on school grounds then we are moving in the wrong direction.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Those who survived Columbine (and a few other schools & post offices) could, and likely would, argue with your position. One employee a 9mm or 10mm autoloader could have saved a lot of lives.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Kids should not be exposed to guns in an environment where they should feel safe.
        The problem with this is that in too many schools in our country, the students DON'T feel safe.

The premise of the concealed carry aspect of this law is that the students wouldn't be exposed to it unless it became necessary to use it. Woe upon the armed teacher whose students find out where the weapon is concealed.

I would demand that the teacher be put through a rigorous firearm training program similar to the training police go through before being allowed to carry a gun into a classroom.

Kevin

Comment

That's required as part of the CC law as implemented in those states where they've been passed.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Firearms training is worthless when a 100lb female teacher is suddenly surrounded by 5 big "guys" demanding her firearm so they can "cap" someone. They could tear her apart if they wanted to. Better idea is to have martial arts training for all teachers, and hire more male teachers. Pay them more too. The shit they have to put up with is ridiculous.

Comment

Yes, they do have to put up with a ton of shit.

As for womens vulnerability; you haven't met my wife and her Beretta

The idea is not to let them close enough to threaten you. Cap the first in line and the others will think more than twice

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 June 2003, 00:22.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Teachers don't really have eyes in the backs of their heads, and people don't always telegraph their actions. If I was some thug and wanted to get a gun from a smallish female teacher, I would go and ask her for help with some book.. while her hands are full and her mind distracted, a thug accomplice could come up and grab her arms, we could both beat her senseless, take her gun and blow her brains out with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                  This is a very bad idea IMO. Although I am all for owning firearms, I think allowing people to carry and conceal firearms on school grounds is dangerous.

I also think that this promotes a society that thinks it needs to be armed all the time and I am against that. Kids should not be exposed to guns in an environment where they should feel safe.

Of course,w e all know where this will lead. A shooting will happen...eventually. At least if the gun is not on campus to begin with then there is a less likely chance of something happening. I can't think of any good reason for anybody to carry a gun on schools grounds. If society as a whole feels that we need to have guns on school grounds then we are moving in the wrong direction.

Dave

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Oh and also, learn how to selectively target.

Learn from the lesson of poor Bernie Goetz.

He left one of his attackers alive but maimed.

Legal experts agree - first shot should be in the leg to disable, followed by a possible shoulder shot... and if they KEEP COMING for some reason, the final shot should be to the head.

Bernie was messy, and left one guy crippled with an errant shot to the spine. He paid for it, and will continue to pay for it (although his employer now officially pays his wife, to keep his attacker from ever getting any money).

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeh shoot the little buggers early.
                      So the little kiddies will now take guns into school, okay some already do. One gets flunked in a test pulls out his/her gun teacher pulls out his and a nice little shoot out in the classroom.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I find it shocking that, even in America, some people condone the presence of guns in a school of all places! Surely the number of deaths on American streets show you they are a bad idea for private ownership anyway? Aside from a few niche cases (like in the countryside etc) there is no need for it - definitely not in schools.

T.
                        FT.

Comment

Hell, I say arm every person on the planet and see what happens!

GLOBAL CHAOS AND DESTRUCTION!!!!!!

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

well it would solve some of the overcrowding problems...except in the cemetarys
                            FT.

Comment

Well feed the dead bodies to the sharks.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X