Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply recommendations.

hi guys,

I know there has been a power supply debate recently but I have a slightly different set of needs.

My old Enermax 420 (I think, may only be 350) is making an incredible racket that I'm told can be heard through two doors when I'm not snoring next my girlfriend

It's quite old, and doesn't have adjustable fans or anything so I am faced with a choice -

1. Replace the two fans with quieter fans - can people recommend really quiet fans

2. Replace the power supply with a all around quieter supply. Can people recommend quiet supplies available in the UK? I don't have insane power needs - P4 1.6 Nwood, two HD's and a combo DVD /CDRW drive are pretty mucy the only things pulling juice and I'm not overclocking at the mo due to the utter disaster the last time I tried (corrupted all my user data on the HD, lost two years email)

Anyone able to chime in with suggestions?

thanks guys,

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Replace the two fans if the PSU still works good, me thinks it would be cheaper.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

You make a good point. <30Db 80mm fans anyone?

Uberlad

Comment

Papst 12dB or 18dB fans work pretty good. I replaced the 80mm fan in my Enermax 365 with a 12dB.
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

In fact if I'm feeling rich I could go through the entire case an replace all the fans with quiet versions. I could even stick a very quiet 120mm on the Zalman heatsink I have.

I'll need to get 3 pin fans, but I need to check that the power supply doesn't have crazy connectors internally.

Not yet found the terribly quiet Papst fans in a 3 pin variety - anyone know where they're sold in the UK?

Uberlad

Comment

Be careful, though! IF you make a mistake, and your computer and house burn down because you messed with the PSU (not very likely to happen, but still...), the insurance will not pay.

Papst Sintec fans are quiet, Verax are the quietest around, but VERY expensive. The new Enermax's with the adjustable fan speed are quite quiet, too.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Aha! I have accidental damage cover on my house. I'll just claim that I accidently replaced the fans.

I may also go some way to preventing dust getting in my case quite so horribly - it can only be gunking up the fans.

Can anyone say anything on Vantek stealth fans? They're a tenner each but well under 25db and come with the three pin connectors I so sorely need (I can get adapters, but they'll further reduce airflow in the power supply...).

Uberlad

Comment

Originally posted by uberlad
                Can anyone say anything on Vantek stealth fans? They're a tenner each but well under 25db and come with the three pin connectors I so sorely need (I can get adapters, but they'll further reduce airflow in the power supply...).

Uberlad
                I have two of those for my case fans. They're pretty quiet considering the not-too-high price.

However, if you're going to open up the power supply anyway, you might want to look into cutting the metal in there. Air turbulence around grates and such contribute significantly to the noise.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

This reminds me that I also have to mod a PSU, that gets roughly 50-60c hot :P
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Hmm... I just saw a Ventec Ion 400W... its a lower end version comparing to their Stealth series, but still looks impressive. And it also comes with SATA HDD cables! Its' not too expensive for a 400W... 78 dollars Canadian... I am telling my friend to give it a try. (he's buildiing a "low end" system ) (865PE, Celeron 2.4 etc)

Comment

50 - 60 degrees celsius

my Topower runs so cold its not even funny

Comment

Working...
                      X