frame drops (over and over .. ) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame drops (over and over .. ) :)

I have the setup from the signature, and i use as a stable capture solution yuv2/picvideo.
    I use mostly avi_io, however, sometimes, don't know why, it tends to BSOD, so, when i don't need full res, i use virtualdub, which never crashes.
    However, if i try to capture with full res in vd, i get a constant frame loss, like 1 -2 fps. Any ideas why? i tried all virtualdub variants and none worked properly, so i suspect something different.

Cheers,

Adrian
    1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,
    WinXP SP1, Drivers: 5.88, VT 2.02.

What sound card? Could be a quartz frequency issue.
    Last edited by Flying dutchman; 23 June 2003, 05:15.
    Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Or, in the case of this mainboard, does it have and are you using the optional AC '97 audio?

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge, 1.89 drivers. What's about quartz freqs? That's new
        1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,

Comment

I have two identical Creative Soundblaster 128's. I use a Terratec Cinergy 600 for capturing (full-sized 720x576 Huffyuv on a Celeron 900!).

When using one sound card, it drops a frame every two minutes while capturing, when using the other only one frame per four minutes !!!

The only way I can explain this is if the quartz frequencies are slightly different, maybe a few ppm.

Comment

This really sucks! Maybe my sound card has this kind of problems.

Comment

When using my Santa Cruz (aka: Sonic Fury) I get a drop about every 100,000 frames, if any, using the below system.

With my Marvels and eTV analog capture hardware the situation was about the same (1frame/100k) using AVI_IO. This was mostly using Asus P3B-F mainboards, but also more recently with the SiS 735/745 chipped boards by ECS and MSI.

It helps a lot to keep the usual system crud off the editing system. I do this with removable boot drives, with the editing one having NO email and NO crap software. Just stuff proven to be solid and for graphics/editing.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 June 2003, 09:23.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I also had less than one drop per hour when I still used the Marvel plus Avi_IO. Avi_io simply has a perfect frame buffering scheme. I hope Markus Zingg will develop a WDM version soon (are you reading this, Markus?)

Now this has definitely worsened with my new WDM-based Terratec card: I now get 1 drop per 4 minutes (=6000 frames).
                Still, several issues have vastly improved: channel tuning is perfect, multi-gigabyte files are no problem, S/N ratio is visibly MUCH MUCH better thanks to the 9-bit Philips chip, it supports more resolutions than the Marvel and most important, it doesn't suffer from the sudden frame-order reversals which occasionally happen on the Marvel. Downside is the increased number of drops and the not-too-stable Terratec CinergyTV software that may suddenly halt the recording if CPU load gets a bit too high to its taste. I'm still looking for the perfect recording software...

Comment

HavenĀ“t I read this somewhere before???
                  -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
                  2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
                  Matrox Parhelia 128
                  Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
                  Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
                  Maxtor 300 GB for video
                  Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
                  Win XP Pro

At work:
                  Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
                  Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes...

Comment

Working...
                    X