Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Cd Drive thats windoze 98 reckons is a removable device

In fact it insists on it.
    The drive is detected correctly under device manager.
    Changing drive letters doesn't work. I did this as the user has a mobile phone thats detected as a drive.
    Removed the device manager and ide channnels from 98 plus the CD drive and let it redetect them.
    no change.
    Did the same again but removed the reg entries this time.
    No change.
    Removed the phone software as the user reckoned it was around then it stopped working.
    Still the same.
    Updated the via drivers cougth splutter.
    Still the same.
    Checked what programs were starting up. Nothing untoward there.
    Reloaded Bios.
    No change.
    The drive works nicely in Dos from a floppy boot.
    There PGP which seems to do funny things to drives I ran out of time before trying that.
    Any other ideas???
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Just a wild guess...

any packet writing drivers loading with windows (ez-cd, incd, etc...)? With nothing obvious in regedit, anything goofy lurking next to LOAD= or RUN= in win.ini ? Worst case, at this point scanreg /restore or repair couldn't really hurt much if you haven't already knocked that out.

just a thought
    Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

Haven't looked in the win.ini. Doh.

He's got some cdripper software installed and Windows media player with cdburning support.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
      X