Philips Acoustic Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philips Acoustic Edge

I Currently have one of these still in its box.
    After reading lots of positive reviews I'm really tempted and I'd like to hear if any of my fellow murcers have any thoughts about this card ?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I use it and love it, only one drawback though no linux drivers . Never had a problem with the card.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

The card's hardware itself is quite good.

Their drivers... have always been a bit lacking.

Philips has this nasty tendency to "forget" that a card ever existed after a while.

The fact that this card has survived several years without being abandoned bodes well, but don't get too comfy. I still have a couple OTHER Philips sound cards and a dozen modems that they won't admit to having ever made.

THAT said, the Windows drivers for the AE at this present time are said to be quite good.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I have one in a dual Athlon and that is supposed to a bad combination, but mine has been flawless for a year and half. Great sound, and no compatibility issues.

Comment

I've used one in my AMD 7KDD Duallie and a few other machine...it's a decent card! Driver support could have been better, but the latest release drivers work fairly well for a broad range of games. The sound quality is good and their control panel applet is first rate.

Their cable connections are light years ahead of everyone else.

Not the newest, not the oldest, but a very good performer overall.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

The AEdge is going into my system and the Audigy is going out

AS to being "forgotten", well Creative almost instantly forgot my Audigy to go on and make the Audigy2

And I have actualy only had one "real" driver update from Creative to this card
            (Hacked A2 drivers is nice but don't count)
            So "no new drivers" don't scare me

Compared to the Audigy, my old original Live had lots and lots of driverupdates

Best of all : the drivers is 7mb
            And "bundled" software is optional
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I got scared away from the AE when their Win2k drivers started producing Blue Screens with frightening regularity, and their XP support failed to materialize quickly enough (the 2k drivers didn't work in XP for quite a while).

But that's me. As I said, and as MMM verified, the current set is quite good.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                I got scared away from the AE when their Win2k drivers started producing Blue Screens with frightening regularity, and their XP support failed to materialize quickly enough (the 2k drivers didn't work in XP for quite a while).

But that's me. As I said, and as MMM verified, the current set is quite good.

- Gurm
                Who woulden't avoid a product that produced Bluescreens?

Comment

Oops, I actually have the rhythmic edge, it has been a long time since I had to look at the card or anything associated with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                    Who woulden't avoid a product that produced Bluescreens?
                    People that buy Creative cards.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                      People that buy Creative cards.
                      Haven't had any blue screens with my Creative Labs cards since I stopped using VIA chipsets.

Jammrock
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Only had them in NT4

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                          Haven't had any blue screens with my Creative Labs cards since I stopped using VIA chipsets.

Jammrock
                          Ah one thats seem the light. Via = Recycle bin.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I know this directly really related to the thread, but I can only recall having issues with Creative cards once in a single game. When Mechwarrior 3 was first released it had a lot of crackling and other fun stuff. There was also a problem with Creative cards in Everquest for a long time but that eventually turned out to be a problem with EQ not Creative. So, I know people seem to like slandering Creative a lot but I for one have never had any problems other than those above with either my Live or my Audigy, no blue screens, no audible anomilies, no excessive cpu usage as near as I can tell, etc..

I suppose also there have been some issues trying to get them to work under linux right, but even that has improved over time, and besides, there are problems getting anything to work under linux right.

Ian

BTW, What is this hacked A2 drivers on the A1 thing?
                            Primary System:
                            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                            Seccondary System:
                            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                            Tertiary system
                            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Working...
                            X