Ssh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssh?

Someone approached me recently and told me that his friend had an FTP server that ran through SSH. I was confused at this...since I had always thought that SSH was merely a secure telnet-like protocol. So I looked some things up, and found this:

I'm getting the impression that I can somehow use an SSH connection as a proxy by fowarding info through a specified port? Anyone know what can be done?

google : ssh ftp tunnel
    most answers lie within
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

No doubt you can tunnel FTP through SSH, but SSH also has its own ftp-like implementation. Look up sftp while you're googling aroung.
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

I tunnel everything at work through ssh, You need to have putty connected to even ping the network. It works really well.
        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

another thing to look up on google: FTP AUTH TLS
          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

DESCRIPTION
            sftp is an interactive file transfer program, similar to ftp(1), which
            performs all operations over an encrypted ssh(1) transport. It may also
            use many features of ssh, such as public key authentication and compres-
            sion. sftp connects and logs into the specified host, then enters an in-
            teractive command mode.
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I searched for those links, but didn't find anything too interesting.

Byoc: That's what I want to be able to do...do you know of a "how to" on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                I searched for those links, but didn't find anything too interesting.

Byoc: That's what I want to be able to do...do you know of a "how to" on that?
                I thought I gave you what you were looking for, here is another link.

Dave
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

We also use SSH at work. TeraTerm or Putty as client software (there moste likely are others).

As a side question: I'm trying to read mail using my 5mx, but the internal mailclient doesn't support SSH. I thought using of some tunneling-application either written for EPOC, or in pure JAVA... Any such programs ?

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

You could always install Linux on your 5mx, run ssh under that, and read your mail that way
                    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

yeah... I *could* do that (our sysadmin suggested that, but he is a Linux-adept )

Any alternatives (it is a good suggestion, but I'm not sure there are good mailclients compiled for the 5mx - of course, I could try to compile them myself...) ?

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

While we're on the subject of SSH, one thing everyone should know about is WinSCP.

It's a wsftp like program that uses SCP to transfer files. Even my non technical friends use it all the time to transfer files to my server. I have two friends going off to grad school and both of them plan on using my server to store backups of all their work. They've gotten so used to using it to store files, they'll keep doing it as long as I keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                        X