GunMetal Benchmark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GunMetal Benchmark

Downloaded and installed it today (download links at www.rivastation.com).
    Now starting benchmark1 totally feezes my system
    Tried it again after rebooting (background tasks like Virscan etc disabled) but no way to make it work.
    Benchmark 2 is running, although the sound stopped playing somewhere in the middle.
    Honestly speaking I was disappointd by the graphics.
    IIRC this benchmark was 'NV-cards only' some time ago ?

My sys :
    Leadtek K7NCR18D-pro MoBo (NForce2)
    AthlonXP 2400+
    2x256 MB DDR266
    ATI Radeon 9700 pro - still with Cat3.2 drivers
    WINXP prof. with SP1

edit:
    found some infos at beyond3d

from the Q&A's:

Q: What API is supported?
    Microsoft DirectX 9.0

Q: What data does it report?
    Frames per second are reported to an HTML file at the end of the benchmark. The final numbers are not a score; it reports an average FPS, minimum FPS, and maximum FPS at a set resolution.

Q: What Vertex Shader version does the benchmark use?
    Vertex Shader 2.0

Q: What Pixel Shader version does it use?
    Pixel Shader 1.1

Q: Can you turn off AA and AF?
    The benchmark uses Anisotropic filtering & antialiasing by default, as these are must have features in modern gaming and that is level of image quality we are seeking from Gun Metal. Anisotropic filtering cannot be turned off.

Q: How many codepaths are there?
    All GPU's take the same DX9 codepath. If not, the benchmark will report the results as invalid (or simply just fail). It is a deterministic benchmark, so every frame will be rendered the same on each piece of hardware.

Q: Is it a good GPU benchmark?
    Yes, it is GPU-limited and uses complex DX9 features.

Q: Is it a good CPU benchmark?
    It is neither a good nor bad CPU benchmark, as the application is GPU limited.
    Last edited by Hati; 15 June 2003, 04:49.

No wonder it doesn't work well.
    The Gunmetal coders have close relations to nVidia - so close, that the first Demo of Gunmetal ONLY ran on nVidia hardware
    So it's quite safe to think of this as a nVidia- initiated benchmark.

And it really doesn't look like a DX9 bench, more like a poor UT2003 lookalike. I would be really surprised if this thing did heavily use Pixel- and Vertexshader 2.0 (as that would mean low scores for nVidia based cards), and if it does use those, you simply don't see it (which is admittedly not important in a benchmark, but still it makes you wonder...)
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

Ooops, I only saw this now in your first post:

Q: What Pixel Shader version does it use?
      Pixel Shader 1.1
      Now, who would've suspected this? They don't use DX9 pixelshaders - but no, that does not in any way have anything to do with the fact that nVidias current hardware performs like crap when PixelShader2.0 are involved...

And then:
      Q: Is it a good GPU benchmark?
      Yes, it is GPU-limited and uses complex DX9 features.
      Yeah, but why did the most complex/innovative DX9-feature, the pixelshader 2.0 not make it's way into this benchmark?
      Looking at the pixelshaders this is not even an DX8.1 benchmark (supporting pixelshader 1.4) but on DX8 standard...
      My System
      German ATI-forum

Comment

It works fine for me, and i think it does look a little better then UT2k3, except for the explosions, but that might just be my personal taste.
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        System:

Celeron 1100
        512 mb
        Sapphire 9500 Pro (with Catalyst 3.4)

and DirectX9.0a
        Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

btw, i dont get any sound in the benchmarks
          Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Does it matter? The thing is everything but a DX9 benchmark.

And it's not even useful as DX8 benchmark, because there are big differences in the benchmark results of nearly identical systems.
            At least the suspected nVidia bias seems not to be there or only moderate...
            My System
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
            X