Dumb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Question

I've just upgraded my memory to 1.5 gig.

So theres 2 x 512mb sticks and 2 x 256 mb of sticks. I don't know whether I'm in dual mode or not.

Before I had 2 512mb sticks in slots 1 and 3 and that was in dual mode when I could see the bios screen during boot up.

I've now got it as 512mb in 1 and 3 as before and 256 mb in 2 and 4.

The machine seems faster as these are cas 2 chips and not the cas 2.5 I ordered. So I still think I'm in dual mode although the bios what I can see of it doesn't say anything at all.

Any programs that would tell me. Sandra doesn't.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

as far as I know, since the 875 chipset requires two modules at a time, you will have to be running dual mode if it sees all the memory. a memory benchmark will surely tell you by the numbers if it is closer to 2.7GB/sec or 5.4GB/sec
    ( assuming machine in sig is the one being discussed )
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I'm not so sure looking at the book it suggest that they may have to been of the same memory size. But it's so vague.
      Running Sisoft sandra gives a memory through put faster than the 850 chipset while previously it was a tad slower. Differance in cas speed that. Thats suggests it's in dual mode.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

At 333 MHz It should be around 3700 in dual channel compared to about 2500 in single channel in Sandra's memory bandwidth test.

Comment

Well with Nortons Firewall in the background it registered around 3400 so I guess it's doing dual channel.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

time to update your sig TP!

Comment

i've got an intel d875pbz mb.
              here's a link to how they say the memory needs to be configured for dual channel. it's likely to be the same for all 875/865 based boards.

nospam

Comment

Theres a another way.

I just pulled of two of the dimms and placed then in one bank and ran Sandra and the scores dropped. So it's defintaly in dual mode.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                X