Clear All

• MP3 Players?

Hey, I am looking for a VERY specific item:

1. MP3 player.
    2. Must use Smart Media.
    3. NOT SHITTY.

Well, ok not THAT specific.

Suggestions?

The Creative Nomad IIc apparently uses Smart Media, and is $75 or less depending on the model. But I'm willing to pay a few bucks more to get better features, etc.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

I have seen a Panasonic one that does accept SD (pin and format compatible with SM, but newer, and with some optional DRM shit. The player MIGHT accept SM, many SD devices do, so you might want to try).

It's about as big as a casio g-shock wristwatch.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

From Creative:

Complement your NOMAD IIc with NOMAD II Accessories! Choose a wired remote, carrying pouch, backphones, cassette adapter, docking station

Sounds to me like a perfect choice, it has everything one could want in an MP3 player...
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

az, afaik SD is pin-compatible with MMC, not with SM...and the Panasonic models seem quite expensive, while being no better than the Nomad in anything other than size.

Comment

The new iPod. Very expensive, but very nice

Comment

The new iPod has smart media?

Comment

Yeah if I had $300+ I'd get her an iPod. Really I would. But not this week, I'm afraid.

The local Circuit City has the Nomad IIc with 64mb for $129 with a $50 rebate.

Sounds good to me.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I would rather get one of those new MD with USB support than an mp3 player with just 64 or 128 MB. MD is great, maybe quality not as good as CD, but neither is mp3, especially if you want more than 30 minutes on you 64 MB card...

rather wait a little longer and get one with integrated HD

Comment

ROFL. Well, I just picked up a Nomad IIc.

MP3/WMA support, expandable via Smart Media (which is currently $20/128MB), and excellent sound quality.

Add to that the Nomad IIc integrates with my Audigy software. Mmm...

- Gurm

Comment

If you own CF memory, or there are CF adaptors for the kind of memory you're using, check out the Frontier Labs Nex IA.

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Topha, I've worked with netMD's and the Sony OpenMG software is horrible...they have a lot of copy protection schemes, you can only transfer the same MP3's to your MD a maximum of 3(!) times, you can't offload them from the MD to any other computer, you can't even transfer your own voice recordings from the MD to the PC After bashing my head against these idiotic schemes, I had to resort to the wonderful option of real-time transfer with a plain audio cable. Yes, the quality is great, but I'd rather save myself the hassle of dealing with sanctimonious Sony copy-protection.

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                        Topha, I've worked with netMD's and the Sony OpenMG software is horrible...they have a lot of copy protection schemes, you can only transfer the same MP3's to your MD a maximum of 3(!) times, you can't offload them from the MD to any other computer, you can't even transfer your own voice recordings from the MD to the PC After bashing my head against these idiotic schemes, I had to resort to the wonderful option of real-time transfer with a plain audio cable. Yes, the quality is great, but I'd rather save myself the hassle of dealing with sanctimonious Sony copy-protection.
                        That, of course, is a turn-off

Didn't know that

Comment

Wow, my amazement at Creative continues. The current Nomad<->MediaSource integration is great.

MediaSource Player, while a bit slow to open the first time (then again, so is WMP9), runs like a charm and does all sorts of things better than WMP.

Now, I wonder if Media Jukebox has Nomad support?

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                          X