Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairlight-- 16 years has come to an end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairlight-- 16 years has come to an end.

Fairlight has unfortunatly decided to close their doors for good.
    they have supplied the people/scene with pirate versions of many exellent games and programs, for over 16 years. Their reasons for retiring is that to many other groups uses low tactics to narq the competition, and the feds.

Well for all you swedes... this is a sad day. Fairlight/ Digital Illusions was founded in Sweden 16 years ago, mainly doing C64 and Amiga cracks and later moved on to the pc scene.

Hmm... come to think of it, they made the Battlefield 1942
    and cracked it.. hehe pretty funny... Guess that the new deal with EA made them stop the piracy...

Btw: Patrick Söderlund which is the CEO of Digital Illusions were also a founder of Fairlight demo divition back in the amiga years..

JD
    Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

pity... great bunch.....
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Not to be rude, but I'm not quite sure why we are supposed to bemoan the loss of a 'company' who's apparently primary function was an illegal activity. Unless there's something I misunderstood in your description of what they did.

Ian
      Primary System:
      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
      Seccondary System:
      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
      Tertiary system
      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

They weren't a company. They were a hacker/pirate group.

They made great contributions to the hacking scene, wrote many a fine demo, and generally knew their programming inside AND out.

The fact that they moved ... err what's a bigger word than Terabyte ... of warez is immaterial. Some of us support the "try it before you buy it" mentality of major warez couriers.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          ... err what's a bigger word than Terabyte ...
          that'd be Petabyte ...
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Ah... I remember the intros they made. They where often better than the games intro!

Dungeonmaster on Amiga....

Sigh.

I met them at a convention once. Nice bunch of guys.
            Off course, this was BEFORE the antipirat group began to burst any and all netparties they hear about.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

I actualy had a tape with just their demos to C64
              Great for parties
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

well, the people will join other crews, or create new ones, and keep on delivering quality warez for me and you

Comment

Have to agree Gurm, Why pay $50 for beta or even alpha software? If I like the software, and use it, I buy it. Then I am not out $50 on every piece of garbage, I try and hate.
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Yup. I can't count the number of times I've tried a crippled piece of shareware or a demo, decided that it will PROBABLY work if it isn't crippled, bought it... only to find that it sucked.

If I can't try a fully functional version I don't pay.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Not to speak about those cases where you actually own the original but still use the pirated version as this one comes with features that the original should've had from the beginning
                      I had this quite often in the old Amiga days: there were games that, though spreaded over several floppy disks, didn't have an HD installer and/or had copy-protection that was majorly annoying even to those who bought the damn crap. The cracked version, however had - of course - the possibility to install on HD, no annoying copy protection, plus often extra features like unlimited lives and the like..
                      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                      My System
                      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                      German ATI-forum

Comment

Amen. Even today, CD copy protection is causing massive headaches to legit buyers. SafeDisc is a tool of SATAN!! Kinda funny when warez versions work better than the originals.
                        Bart

Comment

Originally posted by The Rock
                          Amen. Even today, CD copy protection is causing massive headaches to legit buyers.
                          CloneCD for image and CloneDrive to play. Yeah, only if you have HDD space to spare, but it's works brilliantly for me.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
                          ASUS A7N8X
                          Corsair 1GB PC3200
                          Parhelia 128MB
                          EIZO L685EX

Comment

XHKX:

Didn't know that CloneDrive was beating latest SecuROM. Pretty sure it isn't, actually. I don't use CloneCD to beat protections any more, I just get cracks.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                            X