Alternative to SAMBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to SAMBA

We have all been their and done it, the SAMBA linux blues....but is there an altenative.

MS is constantly changing there file sharing stuff, and keeping it secret enough to make developemt a slow process....so why not use something else

Can I access NFS shares for windows?

Is their a file sharing scheme which is compatible with both windows and linux, maybe ipx/spx?

I am getting ready to install mandrake 9.1 on my new machine and I am cringeing at the though of doing samba again....maybe it'll work first time this time

You've got to admit it's fun trying to unbork a borked samba install. One day linux will get it right and it'll work out of the box.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Sharity

Hi,

There is a package out on the net called Sharity. It is a graphical Samba setup utility. I used it here
      at work to get connected to our NT Domain for filesharing.

http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity/

Good Luck.

- Wx

Comment

Yes, you can use NFS in Windows. You'll need "Microsoft Windows Services for Unix" or something similar.

If you use Windows 2000, you can use Netatalk filesharing too, since Win2k has built in support for AppleTalk (it's no longer included with WinXP).

But you really should give SAMBA another try. It's not that difficult. Maybe you should try the included web-GUI (SWAT) if you're not comfortable editing configuration files by hand.
        Last edited by albatorsk; 12 June 2003, 07:27.

Comment

Or install Webmin. It is a web based configuration for just about everything on your Linux box. Quite friendly, and easy to use.
          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

And when Webmin doesn't work then what ???
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Try SWAT. Or any other graphical configuration tool. Or why not this chocker: read the documentation

Comment

See my other post one step at a time.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Samba is actually a piece of cake ... until you start doing fancy stuff like domain controllers with mixed windows versions and stuff like that.

Sometimes it just works for no apparent reason when it didn't work before .... if that happens ... DONT TOUCH IT !!
                  no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

The only time I had it working was in mandrake 8. It worked in a funny manner under mandrake 9 from the cd. Worked perfectly at work under rh9 until I upgraded the kernal and it now says it doesn't work and then will list all the windows workgroups and will mount the shares that are available.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I always get it working eventually, usually by manually editing the samba .conf but this a new machine and I want to try something that is hopefuly better.

I'll give the "Microsoft Windows Services for Unix" a try

Comment

Working...
                      X