PDA

View Full Version : Yet another automotive related thread :)

GT98
11th June 2003, 18:03
http://mysite.verizon.net/res1icop/images/h2.jpg

:D

Gurm
11th June 2003, 18:41
ROFL.

Coulda told ya that.

- Gurm

Kruzin
11th June 2003, 19:09
http://www.boners.com/content/790173.1.jpg

The Rock
11th June 2003, 19:43
DAMN!! Hope there were no passengers in that car.

Tjalfe
11th June 2003, 20:13
Poor horsie :(
now it will be re-incarnated as a glue stick

Technoid
12th June 2003, 02:19
GT98, ROFL :D seems like they when cheap on the armorplating :devious:

Kruzin, Hope there wasnt anyone riding on that horse ;)

gt40
12th June 2003, 04:10
that's not a horse anymore,

It's just as ass. :)

GT98
12th June 2003, 05:08
Originally posted by Technoid
GT98, ROFL :D seems like they when cheap on the armorplating :devious:

The thing is that a Hummer H2 is just one of these:

http://www.velocityphotos.com/images/stk/2003/ch2003tahoe01.jpg

Technoid
12th June 2003, 05:18
Then there is no reason to buy them :devious:

Jammrock
12th June 2003, 05:58
Originally posted by Technoid
Then there is no reason to buy them :devious:
Sure there is. It's called the fear factor. Unless your in a truck you're going to stear clear of one of those things. They sit like 3 feet (1 m) off the ground.

Jammrock

Technoid
12th June 2003, 06:13
I meant compared to an "Ordinary"SUV ;)

cjolley
12th June 2003, 07:08
Originally posted by Jammrock ...They sit like 3 feet (1 m) off the ground.

The bad part about that is that that height makes it easy to see the solid rear axle. :rolleyes:

First time I saw one from the rear I knew the buyers were getting screwed.
chuck

Greebe
12th June 2003, 07:21
Jammrock, my uncle has driven/owned Suburban's since the '60's. The gas guzzling reasons he gives, it holds all his shit and there's something to be said about seeing it's bumper at eye level ;)

especially those sub compacts that like to zip about in traffic :D

Kooldino
12th June 2003, 09:04
Originally posted by cjolley
The bad part about that is that that height makes it easy to see the solid rear axle. :rolleyes:

First time I saw one from the rear I knew the buyers were getting screwed.
chuck

Do you mean it has no rear diff?

GT98-What, is the H2 built off the Tahoe chassis?

cjolley
12th June 2003, 09:09
Originally posted by Kooldino
Do you mean it has no rear diff? ...

Of course it has a rear Diff, You couldn't drive it if it didn't.
But the rear suspention is not independent and the rear axle is in a solid housing with no flexable joints.
chuck

agallag
12th June 2003, 09:14
Just look at the difference in ground clearance:

http://hummernj.com/h1h2_comparison.asp?p=H1

gt40
12th June 2003, 09:21
Just had a look at the specs of the H2
6 litre producing 316hp, 360 ft-lbs
6400 lb curb weight
7,000 lb towing capacity

not that impressive.
my lincoln with a 5.4 produces 300 hp 355 ft lbs
6000 lb curb weight
8800 lb towing capacity

And that thing looks massive beside my Navigator.
It looks like it should weigh in a good 1000 lbs heavier.

GT98
12th June 2003, 10:33
Originally posted by Kooldino

GT98-What, is the H2 built off the Tahoe chassis?

Yeah or the Suburban platform. Lemme do some research to find out exactly which one it is...

Errr Tahoe and Suburban are the same platform :p

The H2 is based on the GMT820 platform, the very same platform that provides the underpinnings for the Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Avalanche and all of GMís other full-size trucks. However, the H2 is much more than just a re-bodied Tahoe. The H2 does share the previously mentioned vehicles suspension and 6.0-liter V8, but the similarities end there. The H2 is built with the serious off-roader in mind, but the GMT820 platform should insure civilized on-road manners in addition to its off-road abilities.

A joint team from AM General and General Motors decided to shed almost 10 inches from the front overhang of the GM truck platform. A few extra inches were also sawed off the rear just for good measure. It might not sound like much, but with the H2ís wheels pushed all the way out to the very corners of the vehicle, it is now capable of creeping over rocks no Tahoe could ever hope to master and drive home to tell about it. The H2 is also outfitted with all manner of cladding and plates underneath to insure no vital organs are torn up when using the H2 to its full capabilities. Front suspension is torsion bar, but rear suspension is available as five-link coil spring or an optional air-bag suspension thatís good for an extra few inches of ground clearance. The air-bag suspension also has a load-leveling feature.

Gurm
12th June 2003, 11:44
Uh-huh. Sure it's good for off-road.

ROFL.

Anyone see the new Explorer, by the way? The Axle goes OVER the frame. So much for offroading that, too.

Gonna all have to buy Jeep Wranglers. Bleh.

- Gurm

The Rock
12th June 2003, 14:07
I know I'll get slammed for mentioning VW and offroading in the same sentence, but did anyone see the VW sport ute? (name escapes me) Adjustable suspension from inside the cabin, and it can go VERY high. Looked neato, especially when the suspension was at its highest. CRAZY clearance. I thought I read somewhere that the thing was designed to go through pretty deep water too. Don't know if its a decent vehicle, but it sure looked neat. (note: neat does NOT mean good) :)

Gurm
12th June 2003, 14:15
VW knows how to make vehicles. The fact that they've been pandering to the confused American mass market for the past couple decades is irrelevant.

- Gurm

GT98
12th June 2003, 14:18
Originally posted by Gurm

Anyone see the new Explorer, by the way? The Axle goes OVER the frame. So much for offroading that, too.

Well considering that less then 5% of SUV go off roading its a nonfactor...the Explorer (save sport and sport trac versions) and Expedition and their Mercury/Lincoln spin-offs all have a Independent rear suspension, which gives you more room inside (3 row seating) and better on road handling.

gt40
12th June 2003, 14:27
I would hardly think that this design compromises any ground clearance:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/2003/en/fp/EPR/EPR_ft_024.jpg

The frame is well inboard of the wheel and the independant suspension allows the wheels to be lower than the frame.

Actually the rear halfshafts go thru the frame.

Byock
12th June 2003, 14:32
I have had my 2002 Explorer off road, and I assure you, it did just fine. :D PLus, as GT pointed out, the 3rd row, is really nice, when hauling a few chums. :up:

Gurm
12th June 2003, 14:49
Doesn't matter. The ground clearance is reduced anyway.

- Gurm

gt40
12th June 2003, 15:17
Ok, explain how it is reduced.
Simply saying so does not make it so.

2001 Explorer ground clearance 6.7"
2003 Explorer ground clearance 8.5"
hummer h2 9.3"
hummer h1 16"

Gurm
12th June 2003, 20:10
They're lying. The new Explorer in no way has MORE ground clearance!

Even if it does, you have to remember that in the old model, it was 6.7" to the differential. Add another 6" or more to that before you reach the frame. So anywhere that there wasn't a differential - like 75% of the underside of the vehicle - has a LOT more clearance.

Now, the new one has 8.5". Period. Everywhere.

Sucks.

- Gurm

P.S. I still say they're lying. I've driven next to one. The Volvo Cross Country has more ground clearance.

Muad'Dib
12th June 2003, 20:44
The majority of SUV's - the bigger ones especially - are meant for soccer moms to tote 37 sniffly nosed shouting at the top of their lungs kids around. Oh, musn't foget going to the market.... :rolleyes:

A round of drinks is in order to the people that actually get the damn things dirty!

GuchiGuh
13th June 2003, 03:41
Mercedes G-Class~ :D

GT98
13th June 2003, 04:58
Originally posted by Gurm
They're lying. The new Explorer in no way has MORE ground clearance!

Even if it does, you have to remember that in the old model, it was 6.7" to the differential. Add another 6" or more to that before you reach the frame. So anywhere that there wasn't a differential - like 75% of the underside of the vehicle - has a LOT more clearance.

Now, the new one has 8.5". Period. Everywhere.

Sucks.

- Gurm

P.S. I still say they're lying. I've driven next to one. The Volvo Cross Country has more ground clearance.

Gurm,

Your argument doesnt make any sense what so ever...you still going to get hung up on that same differental that sits lower to the ground then the rest of the truck. I would assume that Ground Clearance is measured from the lowest point on the underside of the vechice.

Also on your Cross Country comment...Do you have a calbrated eyeball that can measure distance? It might look higher but that could be do to a host of other factors other then ground clearance :rolleyes:

PS The Volvo XC70 Crosscountry Wagon has 8.2 Inches of ground clearance....so the Explorer still has more clearnance by .3 of an inch. :p The XC90 SUV has 8.9....

Brian R.
13th June 2003, 05:24
Also, apparent ground clearance will decrease if the operator has a heavy load in the vehicle.

GT98
13th June 2003, 06:43
Originally posted by Brian R.
Also, apparent ground clearance will decrease if the operator has a heavy load in the vehicle.

Or they are a bunch of Fat asses in it

anyway if you normally operate your vechicle with only one person in it you'll notice a slight dip to the drivers side due to the drivers weight in the vechicle over time.