Quick question about half-life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about half-life

How to set the screen to 1280x1024? The max resolution both in D3D and OGL is 1280x980.
    Thanks

buy a new graphic card. the one you got clearly isn't the newest on the market

seriously, i get 1600*1200 with a gf 4 mx 420..

Comment

Thank you for your absolutely no help post.

For those who might have got it, 1280x1024 isn´t a standard HL engine resolution and I would like to run it at the native resolution of my 17´´ LCD, but I really can´t figure how to set a custom screen resolution in half-life.

Comment

HL doesn't support custom resolutions.
        You can only choose from what is listed in the in-game config screen.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

My max resolution for OpenGL is 1600x1200. Wonder why yours will not go any higher? You have the latest patch installed?

EDIT: Oh, just saw that you have that LCD. Guess it can't do that resolution. Well, the game won't run at 1280x1024. Believe me, I have tried in the past. You'll probably have to run 1024x768 with that LCD.
          Last edited by BuddMan; 11 June 2003, 19:43.
          System Specs:
          Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
          May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
          Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
          And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
          just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
          For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

I pretty much stick with 1184x864.

As Kruzin said HL only does its own res's, don't even bother trying to get custom ones

Comment

Yes, it´s limited at 1280x980 because the LCD max resolution is 1280x1024, and I wanted to run it at the native res to avoid LCD scaling.

Ok, Kruzin, thanks, so basically it´s impossible to do it.

Anyway, it doesn´t look too bad on a scaled res anyway and I´ve got the option to run it on my secondary CRT monitor.

Thanks to all that helped

Comment

Originally posted by Nuno
                Yes, it´s limited at 1280x980 because the LCD max resolution is 1280x1024, and I wanted to run it at the native res to avoid LCD scaling.

Ok, Kruzin, thanks, so basically it´s impossible to do it.

Anyway, it doesn´t look too bad on a scaled res anyway and I´ve got the option to run it on my secondary CRT monitor.
                Wouldn't it be better quality to set the LCD not to scale this resolution ? Of course, it might look a bit "squashed", but you'd only loose about 24 lines and still have the full width....

edit: I can't believe no-one noticed... 24 lines difference between 1024 and 980... That should be 44 lines

Jörg
                Last edited by VJ; 13 June 2003, 00:39.
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Most newer LCDs don't allow that - it's a "high end" feature now...

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Oh... oops...
                    Well, I don't have that much experience with LCDs, but the Compaqs I delt with (6 years ago or so) and the Philips's (4 years ago) supported that...

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Well, IF his LCD supports that, it of course is the best option

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

No, I don´t think it´s possible to stop the LCD to scale the resolution... anyway I think it´s better to play it on the CRT than on the LCD with a black border around.

I´ll see if Ati drivers have some kind of trick concerning LCD res scaling when I go home.

Comment

Our brand spanking new LCD's at work (20' IBM ThinkVision's) allow you to disable automatic scaling in its own OSD menu. Its a good feature, but playing a game at 1280x1024 with a nice thick black border around it would suck big time.
                          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

you'll forget about the black border as soon as you get shot at

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121
                              Our brand spanking new LCD's at work (20' IBM ThinkVision's) allow you to disable automatic scaling in its own OSD menu. Its a good feature, but playing a game at 1280x1024 with a nice thick black border around it would suck big time.
                              When you're running it at 1280x980, there would not be a thick black border, merely a 22 lines at the top, and 22 lines at the bottom would be black... You'd still have full width...

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X