Canon G3 - bought one a few week ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon G3 - bought one a few week ago

Very nice camera. Amazing picture quality. So many manual user controls I will be learning for the next year. I love the stitch mode(thats where you can take multiple pictures and stitch them together to make one big long picture). It's nice to have a quick 3 minute movie mode for little things but not necessary. There are two custom modes where you can set shutter speed, Arpeture, white balance, etc... and then save it.

Cons: Slow focus time. flash is obstructed when shooting very close(this is resolved by a light ring that attaches to the from of the lens), ISO 400 is grainy, but 200 and below look great. Viewfinder only shows 83% of actual picture and you can see the side of the lens ring when looking through it.

There are so many other great things about this camera but it is too many to name. I would highly recommend this camera to anyone looking in the 4MP range that like a lot of nerd Knobs and want to have complete control over every aspect of the picture taking. Of course, auto takes perfect pictures IMO.

Oh, I almost forgot! The battery lasts amazingly long! I have probably taken 200 pics so far and have not recharged the battery. oh and one more thing, the software that comes with it is a great package that lets you quickly download and look at the pictures before you decide what to do wtih them. You can then email them, edit them, etc.. with your favorite programs from the canon software.

I'll post some pics later.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Forget what I said about the light ring. It's not a feasible solution. I wonder if anybody makes generic versions?

Starts off at $450! jesus! My camera was $699!
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Still like this bether! http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...oduct=43020209

Takes great pictures!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

this is resolved by a light ring that attaches to the from of the lens
        I also refuse to pay the mad prices for those. Made my own for about $8 with very little sweat involved.

Hardware/lighting store stocks circular neon tubes about 10" diameter rated at 20W - get one of those with a ballast and a starter, solder the stuff together, stick your camera lens through the center of the tube and there you go.

With my Olympus 3040 I am managing to do macro shots at F8 with more than adequate light at a distance of about 12 inches and with a depth of field of about 1.5 inches...................rest of the money I spend on beer and Jack Daniels and find it much more satisfying than the yuppie looking ringflash adapter.
        Lawrence

Comment

Congrats Dave - now THIS is a digital camera

Talking about manual controls, I've got a Minolta Dimage 7i. Amazing thing! I absolutely love the manual zoom and the focus ring!

Dunno what the ring flash for mine costs, but the other macro flash they sell costs 500 EUR...

But VJ has us all beat...

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
            Still like this bether! http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...oduct=43020209

Takes great pictures!
            Nice camera. Do you own it? I would love to see a picture if you do.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
              I also refuse to pay the mad prices for those. Made my own for about $8 with very little sweat involved.

Hardware/lighting store stocks circular neon tubes about 10" diameter rated at 20W - get one of those with a ballast and a starter, solder the stuff together, stick your camera lens through the center of the tube and there you go.

With my Olympus 3040 I am managing to do macro shots at F8 with more than adequate light at a distance of about 12 inches and with a depth of field of about 1.5 inches...................rest of the money I spend on beer and Jack Daniels and find it much more satisfying than the yuppie looking ringflash adapter.
              HAHA! I like you prriorities Did you really make what you described above? got a picture of this homemade device?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by az
                Congrats Dave - now THIS is a digital camera

Talking about manual controls, I've got a Minolta Dimage 7i. Amazing thing! I absolutely love the manual zoom and the focus ring!

Dunno what the ring flash for mine costs, but the other macro flash they sell costs 500 EUR...

But VJ has us all beat...

AZ
                I've looked at this camera several times. It is a very nice camera with a not so nice price. How much you end up paying for that thing? I'd love to see a pic or two.

Dave

Comment

Dave

Its very obvious you don't believe how seriously I have my priorities sorted out here.

Picture shows tube with ballast and starter.
                  Last edited by Sasq; 4 March 2005, 20:48.
                  Lawrence

Comment

That's even better than I imagined! Now if I could just figure out how to connect it to the hot shoe
                    Last edited by Helevitia; 11 June 2003, 08:40.

Comment

to connect it to the shoehorn
                      eh? - (too much beer here - slow )
                      Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
                        eh? - (too much beer here - slow )
                        hehe, I meant the hot shoe.

Dave

Comment

I got a Sony F717 to replace my MVC-CD300. I love this thing...Solid state memory kicks the shit out of the Mini-CD media I used before. Heres a pic:

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Dave, I got it for 820 EUR - pretty good deal I reckon. Of course, you'll have to add 200 EUR for the 1GB MicroDrive, 20 EUR for a bag, 50 EUR for a good charger (the one that comes with the cam isn't very good, unfortunately - but a good charger is of course useful for more than the digicam), and 12 EUR for a set of 2000 MAh NiMH AA cells to accompany the 1850 MAh cells that came with the cam. Just now I've got myself some 2100 MAh NiMHs (amazing how fast battery capacity is rising all of a sudden, now that digicams have created demand).

I'll post a pic later, when I'm at my PC

AZ
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I finally got around to posting some pics. I am still getting used to this camera so they aren't the greatest.

This first one was taken in portrait mode.

This one was taken with 4x optical. Also in portrait mode which I probably shouldn't have done but I forgot to change it

This was taken with 14x digital from about 20-25ft away. Came out better than I thought. Another portrait mode mistake

Landscape mode.

blah blah blah.....

dum dee dum...

Comment

Working...
                              X