Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend car insurance in Ontario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend car insurance in Ontario?

I was wondering if anyone here in Ontario, Canada can recommend a good car insurance company.
    last year I paid $1300 for a year, this year it was quoted at $2175
    only difference was that I moved south 5KM to woodbridge ( and I got one speeding ticket at 15KM over, which I doubt will do much)
    The car is a 2001 Chevrolet Impala.

Any help is appreciated !
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

State Farm
    I'm paying 2000 for 3 vehicles, including a Navigator (2 drivers)
    Also helps being out of the GTA
    Woodbridge probably puts a flag up.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

THanks.. I will try calling them tomorrow.
      Yes.. Woodbridge was a bad choice to move to. It is apparently the highest claim area in Ontario ( Damn kids in their souped up civics! )

Comment

My broker is pretty good. Saved me a bunch of money. The company is called Sinclair-Cockburn, and they deal with several insurance companies. Give Mala a call at (416) 494-7700 x341, and tell her you were recommended to her by Andrew Gallagher. I'm currently paying about $1500/year on a '98 Accord, with 12 years experience and a flawless record. Not great, but pretty good compared to some people I know.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I don't drive yet, but my parents do. They also go with State Farm. I believe they pay ~2000 for the Lexus RX300 and ~1600 for the ES300.

BTW: How come there are so many car threads lately?

Comment

Thanks for your input. I will call state Farm and Mala tomorrow.. I hope they can do better than what I have now ( Pilot Insurance )

How much deductable is it normal to have on car insurance?.. it appears that if you up it, you lower your premium.. not sure if it pays off though ...

Comment

I think the minimum deductible these days is $300, which is what mine is at. $1000 is fairly standard if you want to keep your rates low.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Thank god you don't live in New Jersey. I pay $2200 USD a year on my Focus with a perfect driving record. I have a friend who is orginally from NYC and put his one car in storage for a year with out insurance and is moving to Jersey now and got quoted for $10,000 to insure two cars...hes 40 something with a perfect record.
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

@Chrono_Wanderer : Sorry I am a car freek, I addicted all of you

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                    Thank god you don't live in New Jersey. I pay $2200 USD a year on my Focus with a perfect driving record. I have a friend who is orginally from NYC and put his one car in storage for a year with out insurance and is moving to Jersey now and got quoted for $10,000 to insure two cars...hes 40 something with a perfect record.

That is just not right! I pay $700 a year, full coverage on a 2002 Explorer 4X4. $500 deductible.
                    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

@tjalfe: have you tried a broker? They got me a fair deal (~$1550/year for my 2002 BMW 320i). And it was my first purchased car so I expected to pay a lot more.
                      Bart

Comment

I called a few places today, but not much luck yet, they were going to call me back with a quote. Currently I am with a broker who hooked me up with Pilot insurance.. I was impressed when I paid ~$1400 the first year when I bought my first brand new car.. the following year ( last year ) it went down $100, now this year it is up ~$900.
                        There was a flyer with the bill explaining the rising insurance cost, blaming rising cost of replacing cars, the ice storm of 1999, misc. thunder storms last year and the twin tower attack on sept 11. Still with all of this, I find a ~70% increase pretty ridiculous

Comment

Yeah insurance companies the world over a bunch feckers..

Why does car insurance go up when they under insure some company that goes bust or some natural disaster..come just because they have bills to pay that does not mean we have all suddenly turned into bad drivers....

Mainly because the upper management make decsions to insure large/ corporate items at "mates" rates and then it goes south so we pay for their feck ups, but they will get their big bonus for fixing ther problem they created

God I hate insurance!!!.

And if you are in a reasonably financialy state right now, it is ALWAYS a good idea to do you own insurance, eg but that $1500 in bank account instead.

It has been shown that if you do this you will be a lot better off financially in the long run, given a couple years to get settled.

Unless you are an accident magnet volvo driver......In which case YOUR RIPPING ME OFF, STOP DRIVING

Comment

unfortunetly, in the province of Ontario it is illegal to not have insurance.
                            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
                              unfortunetly, in the province of Ontario it is illegal to not have insurance.
                              You can't buy a bond and self-insure?
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X