No announcement yet.

Pioneer to make DVD+/-RW/R combo drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer to make DVD+/-RW/R combo drive?

I've been on travel the past couple of weeks and have missed much, but saw a blurb on extremetech.com that mentioned Pioneer had announced a DVD+/-RW/R combo drive. Unfortunately there was no link.

Anyone heard more about this?

--wally.

Hi It`s the A06, & Pioneer say they`ve made it because it gives "people the choice they are looking for", nothing to do with not losing out to the opposition, honest.

Best Wishes.

Peter.

Comment

Since there are standalone players out there that read DVD+R but not DVD-R and vice-versa IMHO we need both formats.

I don't see any "losers" in having combo drives end up dominating the market.

I won't be buying any more DVD burners that aren't combo drives.

--wally.

Comment

Hi
        It was " tongue in cheek" almost but not quite sarcasm.
        I agree, My next burner will be dual.

Peter.

Comment

How about the new Hitachi DVD MULTI drive?

The Hitachi GSA-4040B.

It burns to...

1. DVD-R
          2. DVD+R
          3. DVD-RW
          4. DVD+RW
          5. DVD-RAM
          6. CD-R
          7. CD-RW

(But no support for cartridged DVD-RAM discs... only bare DVD-RAM discs.)

Jerry Jones
          I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Hi
            Looks good, something to think about, certainly.

Peter.......

Comment

Their is also the SW-9571 Which DOES handle DVD-RAM discs as well as all the other media types. Although it is a bit slower it is available NOW and for a pretty darn good price at NewEgg AND they have them in stock.

I think it's time to get one and take the "old" drive and install it into the office computer. I am so tired of doing backups on 2gig tape drives. Out with the tape, in with the "new-old" LFD-311.

And yes, I don't throw anything out until it is "completely" useless.
              Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

The SW-9571 doesn't do DVD+RW/R only DVD-R/RW & DVD-RAM.

I need DVD+R much more than DVD-RAM, since the DVD player hooked up to the widescreen TV doesn't do DVD-R, only DVD+R. YMMV.

The DVD-VR editing in MSP7 and the Panasonic standalone DVD-RAM recorders makes me intrested in things like the Hitachi burner Jerry mentions (I think LG has announced one too). This would be the only niche where DVD-RAM would be useful to me. Waitting to see how these turn out is why I haven't bought the Sony combo drive yet. In the meantime my DVD+RW/R burner is working fine, but faster than 2.4X would be nice.

--wally.

Comment

Is Lack of DVD-RAM cartridge support a problem?

Jerry,

I just noticed your aside about the Hitachi 4040 do it all burner not supporting DVD-RAM in cartridges. Is this a problem with using DVD-VR DVD-RAM recording in the Panasonic standalone DVD-RAM recorders?

--wally.

Comment

Originally posted by wkulecz
                    The SW-9571 doesn't do DVD+RW/R only DVD-R/RW & DVD-RAM.

I need DVD+R much more than DVD-RAM, since the DVD player hooked up to the widescreen TV doesn't do DVD-R, only DVD+R. YMMV.
                    Woops, my bad. Didn't notice that. In my case id doesn't matter since all my machines (As well as my relatives) all take DVD-R quite nicely.
                    Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

I can not read the char. PLUS (Hex 2B), inside this thread.
                      E.g. in word: DVD (plus) R or DVD (plus) RW I read only DVD, nothing more.m
                      In Topic review and Preview Reply are all fine.

Anybody else out there who is unable to read the (plus) char ???
                      Last edited by Fred H; 11 June 2003, 08:36.
                      It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I am so sick of this whole DVD standards war that I just chose a side. I went with DVD-R since it was the first real widespread standard and the price/availability of the media was better. IMHO, if a device can't read it, too bad, it gets replaced. I am not doing this for money, so it is not a real big issue for me, but this situation should have never arose. There are standards for a reason and there is no real advantage in either format, it is all about money and licensing fees and patents. That is just not good for the consumer. If everyone would have supported one standard and left the other for dead this never would have gotten so far out of hand. DVD+R should have died after DVD-R was accepted in the first place.
                        WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Fred,

No problems seeing "+" (0x2B) char anywhere here.

What browser & char set?

I'm using Mozilla 1.2.1 and iso8859-1 char set.

--wally.

Comment

Wally,

The cartridge doesn't make any difference where the DVD-RAM discs are concerned.

Well, there's one difference:

The cartridge adds a measure of protection from fingerprints.

Jerry Jones
                            I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

wally,
                              I am using I Explorer 6 in Win XP Pro Swedish. Char set for webb: Times new Roman, but tried all with no effect.
                              There are 2 threads in this forum with the "+" char in the TITTLE which I can not simply reply (only by "hacking" the threads no.). It is probably a login problem and I told about it to Dan (Sasq). He knows the problem and will try to correct it later this week.
                              Here, I was just asking if others have this problem.
                              The most strange thing is that i can reply to any other threads and no problem to write and display the "+" char there. Just in this two threads, containing that character IN THE TITTLE which are shown in the tittle, but not INSIDE the thread.
                              When I look at the Preview Replay than all is ok, the "+" are there.
                              I hope Dan will resolv it later.
                              Thanks wally for reply.

Jerry,
                              I've sent you an e-mail just with the same question.
                              Probably you didn't get it. I didn't receive any answer from you, so now I know the answer anyway...
                              Last edited by Fred H; 12 June 2003, 00:58.
                              It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                              ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X