Home Theater DVD Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Theater DVD Question

I just got done watching Die another Day on DVD on my Sony DVPS560D DVD player. The DVD player is about 2 years old and in the Bennining of the moive at and the end of the movie...the play back was horrid! I was getting major Pixallation, the movie would freeze in certain places and all of the sudden jump backwards or forward when it started playing again. It was almost like watching a Game played on too slow of a computer or having the settings turned up too high. The DVD is clean (just took it out of its sealed box) and I had a minor problem with another DVD I had where it hung up for a second or two during playback, but nothing nearly as bad as this movie. Is its time to ditch it and get a new DVD player or is there any cleaning kits out there that I might want to try?

Thanks
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

We've had problems with the firmware in some of our DVD players.. some newer-developed features freak players out if they are too old sometimes (and this can mean last year's model ) The recent Eric Clapton DVD has problems with our Yamaha DVDS520 DVD player.. it just hangs at the beginning and won't display the menu. We were told it was a software bug, and they would have an update for it soon. This isn't something that just plagues low-end machines either.. Sony and Yamaha are some of the best out there. You might take it to a Sony service place, but sometimes Sony doesn't cooperate well with servicers, so if it is a software/firmware problem, be prepared to be disappointed. It might be time to buy a new player and just sell that one on eBay.

Comment

I also have had problems with several new DVDs on my "old" drive. The problem I have is that the disks will not even be recognized. They work fine on my newer Plextor in my office rig, but will not register at all on my older Creative drive in my kids/home ent rig.
      3 of 4 of the new DVDs I have bought are having this issue...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

My "old" APEX AD-660's play everything, including Die Another Day and others that give my buddy's much newer Sony a fit. This includes DVD-R (even the cheap stuff), DVD-RW, xSVCD, xVCD and even just an MPEG (D1, half D1, 2/3 D1 or 1/4 D1) burned to an ISO disk.

Almost anything round with a hole in it, but then I haven't tried bagels yet

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 June 2003, 22:24.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I did some poking around on line with the model number and there seems to be alot of complants with this model crapping out after two years of use. Any suggestions for a replacement? I'm planning on getting HDTV in a year or two so that would be consideration for a new DVD player...
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Yep. My pal's Sony is on its last legs, despite relatively light use over the past couple of years.

Sony's lasers just suck, period. They seem to be using the same crappy lasers in their ~$500 DVD players that they use in their PS2's.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

My 5-year-old Panasonic DVD player played Die Another Day flawlessly

Of course it craps out on other discs But not that often thanks goodness.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
              X