New Camera - "Old" Videocard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Camera - "Old" Videocard

[sorry for bragging, but...] my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I indicated I was looking at a Nikon D100 (have an "older" Nikon N90s with several lenses).

To my surprise, she approved. After trying to edit and change some of the pic's with my original video card (ATi Radeon 8500), I decided to give the 'ol G400 Max a try.

Whoa! Big difference. Better color rendition, easy on the eyes (text is sharper, colors truer, etc). The only downside is that the G400 Max isn't the best card for some of the current games (my last game was Jedi Outcast).

Hopefully, the Matrox P750 will provide a little more game horsepower - cause I'm convinced Matrox is the only serious 2D card to use when doing anything with a digital camera and/or Photoshop.
    Work is for people who don't know how to surf

While the P650/750 isn't the hottest gaming card out there, you will see a good improvement over G400 in that area.
    You will also see an improvement if the photo editing arena, as you will now be able to take advantage of gigacolor....
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin, would you say P750 is about GF2 class 3D - wise?

Comment

As I don't have a P650/750, or a GF2, I can's speak from first-hand experience.
        I can only go by what is posted about the product, which indicates to me that these cards are well faster than the G series cards...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Utwig, from what I hear it'll be fast enough for a casual gamer

Wait a few days

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Question - would the Matrox Parhelia be a good alternate choice for some additional game "horsepower"? Any downside to this card?

I've seen some posts regarding a "banding" issue. Is this a hardware issue, or something that could be fixed with drivers/BIOS updates?
            Work is for people who don't know how to surf

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dog
              I've seen some posts regarding a "banding" issue. Is this a hardware issue, or something that could be fixed with drivers/BIOS updates?
              The banding issue is a hardware error on the Parhelia, but not all vards have much of it, my Parhelia doesn't have it at all, at it usualy only ocure when you put alot of stress on the card. If you are only a "casual" gamer, Parhelia is a good card. I can't think of any other downsides with the PArhelia, I'm very satisfied with it!

Comment

Working...
              X