Motherboard Makers Enable PAT on i865PE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard Makers Enable PAT on i865PE

Loads of mainboard makers try to follow ASUS with enabling the Performance Acceleration Technology on i865PE-based mainboards in order to compete with the largest mainboard manufacturer. As we understand now, it is hardly difficult to enable the technology on the chipsets that do not officially support it.

Albatron, ABIT and Chaintech have reportedly released new BIOS versions for their i865PE mainboards that enable certain memory performance optimizations that increase the speed dramatically. I now think that these optimizations have the same nature as Intel’s own PAT, however, since Intel denies using this brand-name when referring to its mainstream products, mainboard makers do not state the they actually enable this feature.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Sorry, but PAT offers all but a "dramatic" performance increase.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
      Sorry, but PAT offers all but a "dramatic" performance increase.

AZ
      az if you don't think a free performance increase is a good thing don't enable it!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I don't own an intel chipset

I didn't say a free performance increase is a bad thing, but calling it "dramatic" is stretching it a bit. You wouldn't call 1002 a dramatic increase over 1000, would you?

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Re: Motherboard Makers Enable PAT on i865PE

That is false advertisement.
          They just enabled more BIOS options for memory timing...

EDIT: This is the info I found, I'm not sure whether it is true, but I believe it is.
          Last edited by WyWyWyWy; 7 June 2003, 12:50.
          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

At Tom's:

Abit Cracks the 865PE PAT Code!

The ABIT Engineers have come up with a special BIOS that enables up to 30% higher performance on their IS7-G motherboard, putting it on par with the 875P chipset! We published a special report earlier this week regarding the Metamorphosis from Springdale to Canterwood, and have since updated the article with information regarding this new BIOS revision. "Update, June 4, 2003: a day after this article was posted, the BIOS version 1.3 Beta for the Abit IS7-G, a rival product, arrived. The initial tests show that Abit has made the same leap in performance and is now at the same level as Asus. Thus, the frame rates in Quake 3 have increased from 366 to 418 fps - this may be a sign that Abit has also activated PAT."
            If that's the case, 30% is nothing to sneeze at for free.

Comment

Just a shame it is Abit.

And "up to". So, in one particular set of circumstances, it hit 30%. Woohoo

How do you like the X5DAE?

Comment

Love it. Better than my P4DCE+.

Comment

Originally posted by Pace|Work
                  Just a shame it is Abit.
                  Everyone now uses japanese caps so it is not a problem
                  P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                  Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                  And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X