Direct connection over the internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct connection over the internet

I want to send Files and such to family members, problem is I have a NAT firewall in my router and My relatives also have routers with NAT firewalls...

I've tried various apps to transfer files but none seem to be able to connect through both firewalls...
    I can connect to anyone not behind a firewall with existing software... just not to the relatives whom have Routers and the firewall...

I'd like an App that I can connect with, its the easiest method...
    if not... then I'll obviously need a primer in opening ports on my router as well as those I'm connecting to [I've tried with no success]

Thanks in advance...
    Craig
    1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Have you tried setting up port forwarding?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I generally have no problem with ICQ, but you need to set up port forwarding and also tell icq to only use the port range that you are forwarding to it.

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
        I generally have no problem with ICQ, but you need to set up port forwarding and also tell icq to only use the port range that you are forwarding to it.
        Yes, I have no problem with ICQ when connecting to a person who doesn't have a router...

I don't have "Port Forwarding" per say in my router pref's... It's a USR 8000, maybe not so good but its what I have to work with...

in the router I have a "Virtual Server" which is what USR is calling port fwd'ing I think...
        in there I have a Trigger, then Incoming Ports, and then an IP addy on my network...
        I've tried putting in my ICQ Port # and then the IP of my Machine but no go...

I have changed all the PC's that run ICQ to seperate ports but still no connection...

Any clues or advice??
        Thanks for your replies
        Craig
        Edit: one more Q, do you think the the client side of whom I'm connecting to has to also open the ports [ie fwd them] as well??
        Last edited by Stringy; 6 June 2003, 18:20.
        1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

if you have a router/nat between you and the internet, for ICQ to work corectly you will need port forwarding

I forward a range of 200 ports to my main machine ie 2600:2800

in icq preferences - >connection -> user. set the ports for icq to use.

* this is not the icq connection port, but event listening ports.

Dan
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Thanks Dan, I'll try it as soon as I get someone is availible...

another Q, Do I also have to Specify the listening ports in ICQ??

Thanks
            Craig

Comment

sorry yeah, the latter part of my reply is the setting in icq, i'm not familure with your router. but choose a range of 100 ~ 200 ports (tcp) to forward to which ever machine you want to run ICQ on.

Dan
              Juu nin to iro

Comment

erm... just to be thick... Where is the select port option in ICQ? I am using Trillian.
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Dan, Success, it works... Thank you...

Paddy, I don't run Trillain, but, one of my relatives does, and they say the "incomming ports" is under "Direct Connection"
                  Trillian [world icon]>>Preferences>>Chatting Services>>ICQ>>Misc

Thanks again..
                  Craig
                  Last edited by Stringy; 7 June 2003, 08:08.

Comment

Glad to help, it caused me all sorts of hell when i first started running nat.
                    Juu nin to iro

Comment

Working...
                    X