Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M$ Strikes Back!!!

I posted this at The Flamethrower as well:

I ran into a rather interesting M$ catch-22/oxymoron today.

Client has a broken Windows Installer, I can therefore not install anything that requires it, i.e. Office XP and Cisco IPTV. Jump out to our software share drive and run the Windows Installer cleanup tool...error:

Windows Installer is not operating properly, this program cannot run. Please see your system administrator.

WTF! I am the system administrator! Run it again, same error. Reboot. Same error. So basically, to uninstall the Windows Installer you must use Windows Installer. What's wrong with this picture? Is it just me or is this the dumbest damn logic?

I finally got it fixed by nuking WI from the registry, upgrading to Win2k SP3 (which DOES NOT use the Windows Installer), and replacing all the WI DLL's in teh DLLCACHE, then deleting them all from System32 to replace them from the DLLCACHE.

Sometimes I wonder about M$ logic.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

well they ARE untrained monkeys, what did you expect?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Like office run the setup programme to uninstall it.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

:-(
        That's pretty sad. Unfortunately, I've run into similar probs before.

Comment

I just recently installed a LiteOn USB CDRW on an ultraprotable laptop. No CD-Rom, no floppy, no NIC, running Win98SE. Guess where the drivers for the USB CDRW were? On a CD-Rom...

Comment

bit late now, but hear is a link to an MSI installer fixer..

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
              I just recently installed a LiteOn USB CDRW on an ultraprotable laptop. No CD-Rom, no floppy, no NIC, running Win98SE. Guess where the drivers for the USB CDRW were? On a CD-Rom...
              Atleast it's better than on a floppy...
              My system:
              | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
              homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

IIRC, you can force the windows installer to fix itself by removing it's service (which, for some reason I've never fathomed lives in add/remove hardware section of W2K).

(I could be misremembering, it's a long time since I fiddled with that)
                MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

You're right William a lot of other stuff hides there as well.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X