This is just straight up weird!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is just straight up weird!

Tony Soprano can keep Jersey (who wants it, anyways?) A new family is movin' in on unclaimed turf -- online.

An underground group known as the Sims Shadow Government has taken over the fantasy world that is ``The Sims Online,'' meting out mob justice.

It's a violent twist for ``The Sims,'' the dollhouse-inspired computer game that has long been portrayed as the antithesis to guns-'n-gore bestsellers like ``Grand Theft Auto.'' The emergence of a seedy underbelly in the online game may reveal more about the dark fantasies of middle-aged suburbanites than anyone suspected.

Turns out, everyone wants to be Tony Soprano or Don Vito Corleone.

To hear the ersatz mob boss, Piers Mathieson, tell it, it all began innocently enough, with the desire to impose order on the chaos that is ``The Sims Online.''

The game's designer, Will Wright, deliberately created a blank stage on which players could act out their fantasies.

To Mathieson, the lack of a government to lay down laws in virtual online communities like Alphaville -- let alone cops to enforce the rules -- resulted in anarchy. ``Grievers'' arose -- players who delight in creating misery for other players -- stealing money, trashing houses or even appropriating another's online identity.

Mathieson, 34, who lives in Las Vegas and promotes bands, said players turned into racketeers.

``They show up at your house and they request protection money. `You have to pay me 100,000 simolians if you don't want your house torn down.' It's technically harassment.''

The most popular person in the Sims universe -- Mia Wallace, a composite character played by Mathieson and his wife, Jennifer -- stepped into the power vacuum and organized the Sims Shadow Government.

``We weren't playing the games as hoodlums, we were playing the game as protectors of the city,'' said Mathieson.

At least at first. Somewhere along the line, though, the Sims Shadow Government turned from benevolent overseer to a virtual version of La Cosa Nostra.

Maybe it was the emergence of a rival family, the Playtime gang. Or maybe it was the Mia impostor, who tarnished the real Mia's reputation by inviting other players to work for her as a prostitute. Perhaps the final straw was when someone hijacked Mathieson's America Online account -- and stole all of his in-game cash and property.

Whatever the pretext, Mia morphed from prom queen to mob boss. A handful of the SSG's 160 members would meet outside the game -- in Yahoo discussion groups or by phone -- to talk about offenses against the ``family'' and plot revenge.

The in-game hits are not as gory as a bloody horse head in the bed of a movie producer who offended Don Corleone -- the fictional Godfather created by Mario Puzo.

Nor does it match the savagery of a HBO's prime-time mobster Tony Soprano, who beats fellow ``made man'' Ralphie Cifaretto to death for killing their jointly-owned racehorse, Pie-o-My, for the insurance money, then stuffs Ralphie's head in a bowling ball bag for safekeeping.

But for online game players who invest months developing a character, it can be nonetheless devastating. Like the time 28 gang members stormed a rival's property and delivered a ``red link'' -- the game's way of designating another player as an ``enemy.''

Particularly egregious affronts to the Shadow Government could -- at least until game maker Maxis disabled this feature -- be dealt with by ripping out an opponent's heart. Of course, nobody dies in the ``Sims Online.'' It's just to prove a point.

This drama via modem is consuming for its participants, who've formed real-life friendships with their in-game allies.

Kacie Velie, a 21-year-old assistant manager of a residential facility for the mentally retarded in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., is by night one of the SSG's capos. She said the drama became so intense she sometimes receives calls at work about developments.

``I am amazed personally as to how this whole game has become so real . . . I spend more time with my computer than I do with my friends,'' said Velie, who like about 60 percent of the players, is a woman.

Wright -- the grand puppet master who birthed the bestselling Sims franchise -- is both fascinated and frustrated by the emergence of the mob.

In an interview at a recent trade show, Wright said he logs on nightly to monitor the mob's exploits. But he said Maxis is powerless to stop it -- since all the group's communications happen outside of the game.

Game experts say organized gangs are the hallmark of successful online multiplayer games, like ``Lineage'' or ``Ultima Online.'' Sometimes, it's a sign that the game lacks enough interesting elements to engage the players -- so they create their own drama. More often, it means players are so attached that they invest the time to exploit its rules.

Consider the Mathiesons hooked. They decided to delete the Mia character, saying the demands of reigning as overlord of Alphaville became too taxing. But they're not about to quit the game.

``She just retired, for the simple fact she needs to go in for a face-lift,'' said Mathieson. ``She came back as Hermia, with a bouffant hairdo. A much different Sim.''

Maybe Mia's gone. But she's not forgotten.

``Our friends know who the overlord is.''
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Makes me want to get the game

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

do yourself a favor and don't. It's basically an adult dollhouse. really.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

can't be buggered reading all that...wots is about?

Comment

can't be bothered to tell you!
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I never understood how this "game" was interesting.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thats just f'ing crazy...

society just can't seem to exist without conflict.
              A dolls house game, and it turns into 30's chicago

Maybe they should try to do a simulation of a human colony on the moon? see what happens then?
              or on mars...? at least it would yield scientific results on behaviour etc...
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

This is a perfect mirror of society. Strip away all law and order and less desirable elements inevitably step in to impose their own brand of order, at the expense of those weaker than they.

The SimsOnline needs Batman!

Kevin

Comment

Dave, is it that bad? Enjoyed The Sims, was too buggy though, and a new full-price add-on every few weeks is just too obvious cash cow milking for my taste.

Kevin, it's not just the "less desireable elements", it's mostly the law abiding citizen. Just see what happened here in the 30s. Remove laws (or just de-facto remove SOME, such as allowing to incinerate synagoges), and 80% of the "good people" turn VERY nasty. Like so many people lead a good life if viewed from the outside, and behind closed curtains they beat their wife, terrorize their family, sexually abuse their daughters/nieces/etc. (this happens WAY more often than you think or hear of, and 2/3 of the time the offender is a family member!), etc.. Society just looks good on the outside, I'm afraid

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Unfortunately you are correct. The last 100 years has shown explicitly how easy it is to strip away our veneer of civilization and make even the most agreeable person into a monster.

It would be very interesting to see what would happen if Sims were permitted to organize into military and paramilitary groups. My guess is the game server would be a smoking hole in the floor inside a week!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ

The SimsOnline needs Batman!

Kevin
                      Now that is a great idea. At least something interesting would happen for once in sims world (and something that isn't considered illegal in the real world)
                      Give a few moderators superpowers!

And I think it would cause greater interest in the game. Hmm...than again, maybe it's not such a good idea because of this.

Comment

Batman hell....send in Wolverine

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

This and how pathetically obsessed some people become with these games is why I will never join one of these games. Get a real life people!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

Dr. Mordrid
                            Wouldent be much left after that
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

Dr. Mordrid
                              Batman would probably do better. He's beaten Superman throughly, and almost everyone else he's gone against.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X