Egads! 29" LCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egads! 29" LCD

This thing looks pretty decent, if you've got $3k to spare.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

For that size, the price is not too bad really.. still not in my budget though

slightly off topic.. what is the better type screen for a big screen TV these days?...
    CRT, TFT, Plasma .. or wait for Organic LED?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

CRT: Very good for the price. (32"-36")
      TFT: No way!!!
      Plasma: Drool...but expensive.
      OLED: A bit in to the future!

Comment

Plasma: No way, they need loud cooling. TFT is coming. OLED too. I'd just wait, it gets so much better so fast, you'll be sorry in two years.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yup. Plasma are really annoyingly loud. Especially when you have one of the fookers above your head in the office For a big screen at home, it might be worth considering projection...
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I always fancied projection, but there are two major drawbacks:
            1) I never heard one who's fan I could ignore
            2) Bulbs are rather expensive and have apretty short life.

They certainly aren't something you'd use as a TV replacement - only for watching loud films perhaps
            FT.

Comment

Yeah, I suppose if you've got the space then CRTs are still best inch for the buck
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                I always fancied projection, but there are two major drawbacks:
                1) I never heard one who's fan I could ignore

They certainly aren't something you'd use as a TV replacement - only for watching loud films perhaps

I saw this projector demoed recently, and it really is sweet.. best DLP picture I've ever seen, and I've seen some expensive 3 chip Runcos that cost 5 times what this does that didn't look half as good. This Dwin looks almost as good as a $70,000 Runco three-CRT Projector, in fact, and it is also extremely quiet. I want one.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                  Plasma: No way, they need loud cooling. TFT is coming. OLED too. I'd just wait, it gets so much better so fast, you'll be sorry in two years.
                  Yep, TFT is really coming. Philips wants to offer an affordable TFT-television by some time next year. (oh, the TFT is some next-gen system, not to be compared with the current TFT computer displays.) I've seen a prototype working, and it looks very sweet... The prototype ran hot (they needed to work on that), but had no active cooling.

The OLEDs are still a too far off..

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Actually, later generations of plasma are not that loud.

Comment

You've got that right. The Zenon Arc Lamp used in many commercial projectors last typically 600 hours and cost between ~$1500-3k That does not include cost of replacement (Labor; typically ~$85-100/hr) or other required maintenence (possible replacement of the dichroic or hot filters); cleaning; realignment.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Home projector bulbs aren't that expensive though. I think $400-800 with a 2000 hr life span is more typical of newer home dlp projectors.

Comment

i.e. less than a years typical househild TV viewing. That would be like buying a new TV every year!

And get that avatar out of here, before I send the boys around!
                          FT.

Comment

pardon me, that's check @ 1000 hours and reccomend replacement

if anything get a spare nothin worse than sitting down to watch that most anticipated flic and it goes dark

Yes Chuck I wouldn't doubt that the home brew units would be cheaper as they don't need to illuminate a huge screen.
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, in that case there is always the used CRT projector...
                              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X