Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making A Tutorial

Hi there!

I am making a tutorial for a project I am working on. I want to be able to capture my moves on the screen as I click and select things AND narrate with a microphone as I do it. It will be a walk-through of the program just like this one:

I have downloaded and installed Windows Media Encoder , but I can't make it smooth. When I record video of my desktop it's choppy and the curser jumps from one part of the screen to another. In addition the file size is HUGE. About 10 seconds is 3 Meg.

The one in the example above is smooth and 9 minutes takes up only 7 Meg.

So.... Any of you guru's know the trick to putting something like this together? What is the best tool to use?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi . You're my only hope!
    Last edited by Pneumatic; 4 June 2003, 17:55.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Well I figured it out myself.

First attempt.

Comment

There are tools that record only the mouse pointer etc, they don't create real movies, thus make much smaller files with much better quality. If you're interested, I'll dig around a bit tonight and post about them

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Pneumatic
        Well I figured it out myself.

First attempt.
        Cool! I didn't you you could do that w/ trill pro. Nice vid btw Very pro. How'd ya do it?

Comment

There's a component of Lotus SmartSuite called ScreenCam that does exactly what you want. Finding a copy of SmartSuite might be tricky though.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

CamStudio is worth a look too.
            There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

I used a program called Camtasia to record the screenshot video and voice. Then I put it into Pinnacle's Studio 7 to add the music, fades, and text.

The file is still too big to use effectively for the site. When I lower the resolution on the wmv the words are muddy and you can't read them at all. I will check out some of the recommendations given here and keep playing with it.

If anyone else has an idea of how to get a file like this into a smaller box, I am all ears.

Comment

There's a program out there called ShowAndTell which records just the mouse pointer etc. But my understanding is the creation software costs about $300. Might be worth a look, just in case I'm wrong - I've used the files it creates, and it works really well.
                Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                  There's a component of Lotus SmartSuite called ScreenCam that does exactly what you want. Finding a copy of SmartSuite might be tricky though.
                  Damn! I was sure there was something that Lotus did that was exactly right for this sort of thing... couldn't remember exactly what it was called though so didn't post...

Possibly Kazaa?
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Here's a new one I am working on.

Still too big but I am working on that now.

Comment

nice, but it gets a bit crapy at the end (Trillian preferences).
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                      X