Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you prevent IE opening up secondary windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you prevent IE opening up secondary windows?

I have a client with MS who is paralysed from the neck down, and uses Dragon 5 Naturally Speaking voice recognition software. This is his only user interface to his computer. It works reasonably well, but has its limitations, particularly as his voice is not strong. He can dictate text reasonably successfully, but has problems navigating around screens. I am doing some research on head activated point and click devices for use as a mouse substitute.

Anyway, my questions are:

Which ad popup blocker would you recommend?

Can you prevent IE opening up secondary windows?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Looks like you're posting twice as well. Now you've deleted the other one.

I think you can but I dunno how.
    Last edited by The PIT; 4 June 2003, 10:53.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I use NoAds

works well
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Opera has several functions for the disabled, good keyboard navigation and customizable hotkeys (which I guess could be mapped in his speech recognition software to press certain keys) for EVERY function. Pop-up blocking as well.

Some people who just have to use IE use AvantBrowser or MyIE.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I use PopUpCop, paired with Ad-Aware's "Ad watch" tray utility. NOTHING pops up that I don't want to.

Now, if you want to keep even links that you CLICK on from popping up something... umm... hmm.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I have seen a no-popup option in Opera....
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Opera has an option to block ALL unwanted pop-ups and pop-unders, AND allows pop-ups you clicked on (if you choose that option). This behaviour can be quickly changed by one hit on F12 and a consequent hit on a, r, o, or p (F12 opens a quick-preferences menu).

Future versions of Opera will support speech output (on sites the support this, which should be growing in number, as more and more laws require this at least from governments and big corporations), rudimentary user interface for it is already there.

http://www.opera.com/features/access/index.dml <-- Opera accessibility features.

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by az
                Future versions of Opera will support speech output (on sites the support this, which should be growing in number, as more and more laws require this at least from governments and big corporations), rudimentary user interface for it is already there.

AZ
                The last thing you want is a web browser talking to you. You'd have sites full of useless gibberish clogging up your broadband connection. Sites would totaly unaccessable to Modem users. I can understand it for disabilty access but it will used to abuse the system.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

No, no, the Browser READS it to you - no need for huge mp3 transfers. This is a feature mainly for disabled people, but might be used by lazy people, too.

And of course it's optional, it's not like C3PO talking rubbish all day

AZ

Comment

Pointing devices for motor impaired people: http://www.setbc.org/mouselist/

AZ

Comment

Tell me, why do those stores that sell stuff for disabled people have JAVA navigation, of all things? It's totally impossible to navigate them by keyboard! Is it to sell more "special" mice?

AZ

Comment

Just wait until marketing and bad design people get hold of it. We'll need Opera the mute version.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Of course, the user has full control over this - you toggle if you want your browser to read you your documents, or not. How EXACTLY this is implemented (especially with Frames, tables used for design, etc.) remains to be seen.

AZ

Comment

OK... He uses voice recognition software for text input without any major problem, but it is (apparently) a PITA for web navigation. He can move his head, but that's about it. I have been looking into head-controlled mice, but they seem quite expensive.

He doesn't get any funding for this sort of thing, so all options must be on the cheap side.

Any suggestions?

Comment

A trackball suspended by his nose? (This is only semi-flippant! )
                              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                              X