PDA

View Full Version : Can you prevent IE opening up secondary windows?

Paddy
4th June 2003, 10:50
I have a client with MS who is paralysed from the neck down, and uses Dragon 5 Naturally Speaking voice recognition software. This is his only user interface to his computer. It works reasonably well, but has its limitations, particularly as his voice is not strong. He can dictate text reasonably successfully, but has problems navigating around screens. I am doing some research on head activated point and click devices for use as a mouse substitute.

Anyway, my questions are:

Which ad popup blocker would you recommend?

Can you prevent IE opening up secondary windows?

The PIT
4th June 2003, 10:50
Looks like you're posting twice as well. :D :D Now you've deleted the other one.

I think you can but I dunno how.

Tjalfe
4th June 2003, 11:10
I use NoAds
http://www.southbaypc.com/NoAds/
works well :)

az
4th June 2003, 14:02
Opera has several functions for the disabled, good keyboard navigation and customizable hotkeys (which I guess could be mapped in his speech recognition software to press certain keys) for EVERY function. Pop-up blocking as well.

Some people who just have to use IE use AvantBrowser or MyIE.

AZ

Gurm
4th June 2003, 19:11
I use PopUpCop, paired with Ad-Aware's "Ad watch" tray utility. NOTHING pops up that I don't want to.

Now, if you want to keep even links that you CLICK on from popping up something... umm... hmm.

- Gurm

Paddy
4th June 2003, 23:17
I have seen a no-popup option in Opera....

az
5th June 2003, 00:06
Opera has an option to block ALL unwanted pop-ups and pop-unders, AND allows pop-ups you clicked on (if you choose that option). This behaviour can be quickly changed by one hit on F12 and a consequent hit on a, r, o, or p (F12 opens a quick-preferences menu).

Future versions of Opera will support speech output (on sites the support this, which should be growing in number, as more and more laws require this at least from governments and big corporations), rudimentary user interface for it is already there.

http://www.opera.com/features/access/index.dml <-- Opera accessibility features.

AZ

The PIT
5th June 2003, 00:12
Originally posted by az
Future versions of Opera will support speech output (on sites the support this, which should be growing in number, as more and more laws require this at least from governments and big corporations), rudimentary user interface for it is already there.

http://www.opera.com/features/access/index.dml

AZ

The last thing you want is a web browser talking to you. You'd have sites full of useless gibberish clogging up your broadband connection. Sites would totaly unaccessable to Modem users. I can understand it for disabilty access but it will used to abuse the system.

az
5th June 2003, 00:30
No, no, the Browser READS it to you - no need for huge mp3 transfers. This is a feature mainly for disabled people, but might be used by lazy people, too.

And of course it's optional, it's not like C3PO talking rubbish all day ;)

AZ

az
5th June 2003, 00:43
Pointing devices for motor impaired people: http://www.setbc.org/mouselist/

AZ

az
5th June 2003, 00:45
Tell me, why do those stores that sell stuff for disabled people have JAVA navigation, of all things? It's totally impossible to navigate them by keyboard! Is it to sell more "special" mice?

AZ

The PIT
5th June 2003, 04:19
Just wait until marketing and bad design people get hold of it. We'll need Opera the mute version.

az
5th June 2003, 05:02
Of course, the user has full control over this - you toggle if you want your browser to read you your documents, or not. How EXACTLY this is implemented (especially with Frames, tables used for design, etc.) remains to be seen.

AZ

Paddy
6th June 2003, 10:34
OK... He uses voice recognition software for text input without any major problem, but it is (apparently) a PITA for web navigation. He can move his head, but that's about it. I have been looking into head-controlled mice, but they seem quite expensive.

He doesn't get any funding for this sort of thing, so all options must be on the cheap side.

Any suggestions?

GNEP
6th June 2003, 10:38
A trackball suspended by his nose? (This is only semi-flippant! :))

Paddy
6th June 2003, 10:43
hey... i have heard of tongue activated mice...... any takers?

az
6th June 2003, 14:33
if he can use voice recognition for keyboard input more or less painlessly, seriously consider Opera, as it allows you to navigate through a site's links with the keyboard (and not only next-previous link, but spacial, so you can get the link below another, even if it's not the next one).

If you have opera7 installed: make sure a page has focus (not the text field), hit "A" repeatedly. It'll go through the links one after another. OR use shift+cursor keys (this can be remapped, like all keys in Opera) to spatially navigate through links. enter to click a link, shift+enter to open in new window, ctrl+shift+enter to open in new window in background.

how about a touchpad (a bigger one, with stylus), so he can take the stylus into his mouth, as a pointing device?

AZ

Paddy
6th June 2003, 14:40
erm... i think the touch pad idea wont work. I mean, how long could you hold a stylus in your mouth???? I have seen joystick like devices that will fit inside your mouth.... I wonder how much they cost..

az
6th June 2003, 15:00
maybe one could modify the toughpad stylus so that it kinda works like those wheelchair mouth steering thingys.. just an idea though.

Say, does health insurance really pay nothing for adequate computer equipment for him? I mean, for him with his limited mobility, a computer is more needed than for us, IMHO.

AZ

Paddy
6th June 2003, 15:02
viva la NHS

az
6th June 2003, 15:17
There's the HeadMouse (http://orin.com/index.htm) too, but it costs way over 2000 EUR!

AZ

az
6th June 2003, 15:34
There are competing products, which can be had for ~1000 EUR.

Or a headpointer, for a touchpad/touchscreen. Or a mouthstick. Or a mouth operated joystick mouse.

These are all good keywords to google for, also sip and puff.

AZ

Paddy
6th June 2003, 15:37
Chees Az. :up:

Fat Tone
6th June 2003, 15:39
It's a shame eye-trackers still cost so damn much - ~40k USD :(

az
6th June 2003, 15:45
I've read you can get them for ~10k, which is still not sensible, of course. But head-tracking might do, and is a lot cheaper (if not actually cheap.. people really make big bucks on anything medical, or for special needs - a joystick mouse for over a thousand dollars.. gimme a break!).

actually, it might be possible for a skilled electronics person to build a joystick mouse, or you might just buy one. The mounting doesn't have to be special, and any able-bodied person could do that. This could be A LOT cheaper. only the sip-puff switch might not be easy.

AZ

Nowhere
6th June 2003, 19:12
Outpost firewall has plugin/function that blocks popups.

edit: I'm only not sure now if it blocks all of them or only more than one.