Help with Screwed up laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Screwed up laptop

I was clever enough to put my laptop together using the wrong screw in one hole, which promptly dug itself into the motherboard severing several traces to the hard drive. The laptop still starts up, but cannot find a hard drive ( which I guess is hardly surprising) I have no schematic for this board, so I was hoping some clever person out there could give me at least a good guess as to how the tracks have to be connected again.

It is a motherboard from an Acer Travelmate 730 P3-700.. would be nice to get it working again
    Attached Files
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Well you can try connecting the top trace to whats left of the via at the top left corner of where the screw bit in, and connect the bottom trace to whats left of the via in the bottom left corner of the screw marking. Really can't tell anything else besides that, its just my best guess from where those traces would have to go. Hopefully you didn't bite too far into the pcb and short any internals. Clean up the copper pieces in the screw marking. You might have to connect the top trace to that gold pad and the via, since I'm not sure what that pad actually does.. probably just a test point though.

Comment

The solid pads are just test points as far as I can tell .. still has marks from the test probe.
      I have already cleaned up the board with a fiberglass brush, and I am not sure if that trace which goes vertically in the right side of the screw hole is from the top layer.. I hope it is, but it sits in pretty far
      I will try connecting the tracks as you suggested. it is the same way as I thought the connections went
      damn 8 mil traces!

Comment

The traces are now connected, and the laptop boots .. YAY
        now to assemble it again, this time making sure I don't use screws which are too long!

Comment

cool!

Comment

Gratz on fixing it

But how on earth could Acer be soo stupid that they construct the laptop in such a way that this is posible????
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I am not sure what they were thinking, but since I don't have a short enough screw for that cover, I have decided to tape it shut .. not a pretty solution, but alot safer than screws

Comment

hehe, your hdd got screwed!

Comment

Working...
                X