Any dead P's out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any dead P's out there?

I think I would like to design a proper heatsink/fan combo for the parhelia,
    without of course demolishing my own in the process. For this reason I would like to get ahold of a dead one in order to take some measurements/produce some mockups etc.
    preferably with the fan assembly intact, in order to do some cooling/noise comparisons under controlled conditions.
    (ie having a controlled heatsource attached and measuring the resultant temp)
    I would like to maintain the 1 pci slot form factor, and would like to maintain the fan
    in order to keep costs and compatability at a reasonable level.

I may even send some out for testing to interested individuals.

If anyone can help, or has some suggestions as to design, pls feel free to post or pm myself.

thanks
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

What's the purpose in doing so? The default Parhelia cooler is sufficient for it unless you are overclocking, for which the Parhelia core produces too much heat to do so. You will need water cooling or pelters probably to make any headway with overclocking it and if you are looking @ minimising noise, you can take a look at the Zalman passive cooler for vga cards.

Comment

I guess you have to take the risk with your card, our try to buy one second hand, so you can fiddle with that one.
      I guess that most people would rma their defective card (that was what I did when mine died ).
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I have mine on Ebay if your interested at all
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I need a dead board as well...
          To design my own waterblock.

There was one on eBay, labelled faulty with missing mem chips, but it went for 40+ pounds!

EDIT:
          Link please?
          I searched "parhelia" title and description but I can't find any faulty ones... thanks!

EDIT2:
          I searched again and found it now
          Index might be just updated.
          You will post to the UK, right?
          Last edited by WyWyWyWy; 4 June 2003, 10:42.
          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
            I have mine on Ebay if your interested at all

Are you the guy on Ebay that said that ppl that are outside america have to ask your permission before they bid ??

Comment

Originally posted by 3dfx
              Are you the guy on Ebay that said that ppl that are outside america have to ask your permission before they bid ??
              I have to set that I'll ship only to the States....forgot to change it

If I didnt know there was an interest in a dead card I would have posted it here.
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by ctty
                What's the purpose in doing so?
                Why? a few reasons:
                1) because I can
                2) various ppl have issues with the noise from the OEM fan
                3) there is no such thing as too much cooling
                4) why not.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I think the P is the noisiest thing in my rig
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Well, ...yeah. The stock P HSF was the noisiest thing in my rig, and besides, it was operating between 47C - 52C. So last year I clapped a Titan TTC CUV2AB on it, and it is now quiet enough and running between 40C and 47C. This was a relatively easy and cheap mod.

There are threads and threads and plenty of pix on cooling the P in the MURC archives.

What is the new issue here?
                    How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                    Who cares?

Comment

Working...
                    X